AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using portal to create new records via join table

Question asked by JacobLarkin on Aug 7, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Using portal to create new records via join table

Hello everyone,

I am working on a database tracking college athletes (using FMP 11).  Since each athlete can have many sports and each sport will have many athletes, I created a join table called "activity" to link my "athlete" table to the "sport" table. 

"athlete" contains their basic demographic info and is related to "activity", which has the fields of: activityID, athleteID, sport_name, and academic_year.  Activity is then linked to "sport" whose only field is sport name.

First question: Am I correct in the design of the relationships here?

My issue comes on my data entry layout (on the activity tab) that I have designed for the athletes. 

Using a portal to the activity table, I would like each athlete to select which sport(s) they participate in, thinking that there will be multi-sport athletes. When I test this portal, it looks like I can create multiple records through the portal, as I can choose a sport in multiple lines in browse mode.

Just to double check, I created a layout using all the fields from the "activity" table to make sure that multiple records were being created. However, only the first sport entered through the portal shows up as a created record.  In other words, if I enter 3 separate sports in the portal, my test layout will say only 1 record is created.

I also tried using two separate portals, this time basing the "sport_name" field off of the "sport" table and leaving "academic_year" with the "activity" table.  Not sure which one is correct, I thought this would fix it, but it didn't work out either.

Where am I going wrong here?  I have "allow creation of records through this relationship" turned on in all the appropriate places.  Maybe I am missing something simple, but I would love a pointer if you can help!  Screenshots of the portal and then the list showing creation of only 1 record.

Thank you!

Picture_3.png

Outcomes