6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 12:47 PM by NicholasFernandez

Using Portals without Sharing

NicholasFernandez

Title

Using Portals without Sharing

Hi All,

I am having trouble with sharing issues.

I want to allow multiple users to alter a file that is hosted on a local server via portals in related tables. We are not using FileMaker Server and we can't host the file on one user's computer, so sharing seems to be out of the question (unless I'm missing something). 

Is this possible? Currently, other users are unable to open other tables that are related to the main database when I have one  of the child tables open. 

Thank you for any advice!

Nick

• 1. Re: Using Portals without Sharing
          philmodjunk

You'll need to host the database file from Server or Pro.

An option that you may not have considered is to have a hosting company host the DB for you in order to make the file accessible to all users.

• 2. Re: Using Portals without Sharing
            NicholasFernandez

Thanks for the quick response!

When you say "host the database file from ..Pro," are you referring to the method of hosting the file on one computer and having other users open it via the "Open Remote" hosts dialogue window? Can this really not be done if the file is stored on a shared server? (I'm guessing not, but I wanted to confirm).

Lastly, is there some alternative regarding the setup of relational databases that I'm overlooking? I have a "Master Source List," which contains address info for all of our contacts, and I want to connect it to all of our project databases in a manner that allows for a "Source" field in the project databases that is a drop-down box with values populated from the Master Source List, and I want to be able to create a layout in the project databases that is comprised of the Master Source List fields so that users can update the Master Source List without opening it directly. Is this possible?

• 3. Re: Using Portals without Sharing
              philmodjunk

When you say "host the database file from ..Pro," are you referring to the method of hosting the file on one computer and having other users open it via the "Open Remote" hosts dialogue window?

Yes and putting a file in a shared directory so that multiple users can open the file directly risks damaging the file according to info posted here by TS personnel.

Lastly, is there some alternative...

Not really. "Without opening directly", isn't really the issue. It's a matter of two users not being able to both open the file at the same time whether "directly" or "indirectly". It's still a matter of accessing the same file at the same time.

The only possible work around would be to give each user their own separate copy of the file. For users that need just read only access, that could actually work fairly well. But if you have multiple users updating multiple copies of the same file in multiple ways, merging all those changes back into a single copy to redestribute to them would be a real nightmare of a challenge to do and is what a hosted database is intended to avoid.

• 4. Re: Using Portals without Sharing
                NicholasFernandez

unfortunately, I think you've answered my questions.

I definitely don't want separate lists. 

So my options appear to be remote hosting or FileMaker Server, correct?

Nick

• 5. Re: Using Portals without Sharing
                  philmodjunk

Or hosting it yourself. There are trade offs to evaluate with either option. The simplest, cheapest option is to take a workstation, open the files with FileMaker Pro on it and have everyone else use FileMaker Pro with Open/remote to connect to the files.

• 6. Re: Using Portals without Sharing
                    NicholasFernandez

Okay. Well, thank you for helping with this!