1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 7, 2012 1:25 PM by philmodjunk

Using Pre-populated records/table as a template for new table for quote

DavidScherer

Title

Using Pre-populated records/table as a template for new table for quote

As part of my new job I am trying to create a quotation system where I can generate quotes for customers quickly and easily.

To that end I have a Table "Wireless Plans" where I keep a master record of all available Wireless Plans and the features/prices they offer. I also have a table called "Customer Quotation System (QC)" in which I have identical fields as the "Wireless Plans".

My goal is to have a script available via a button where a sales rep could use one of the master records as a template for a new quote. That way the master records are only copied.

But I'm struggling. I've been able to solve other issues before with equations etc., but this one has me stumped. I don't quite understand some features. I do have a relationship setup between both tables with identical fields, but am unsure how to utilize this feature as each plan doesn't have any unique identifying data.

Any pointers would be helpfull!

• 1. Re: Using Pre-populated records/table as a template for new table for quote
          philmodjunk

First, you need this relationship:

WirelessPlans::__pkWirelessPlanID = QC::_fkWirelessPlanID

In each field in QC where you need data copied from a selected record in WirelessPlans, use field options to set up a Looked up Value auto-enter option, to copy data from the matching field in WirelessPlans.

To create a new quote, you create a new record in QC and use QC::_fkWirelessPlanID formatted with a value list of PlanID's and Plan names from WirelessPlans. When you select or change the value in the QC::_fkWirelessPlanID field, the looked up value field options on these fields will copy data automatically from the matching record in WireLess plans.