AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using relational database to track changes

Question asked by JessicaBrogan on Apr 7, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 by rmercado

Title

Using relational database to track changes

Hi,

I'm new to setting up relational databases.  I have a database in place with one table that contains 85 fields of information.  I want to be able to track every time a change is  made within this table.  I know how to create an auto enter modified by field and an auto enter modified timestamp field.  Those two fields work just fine, but every time someone new makes a change, the modified by and modified timestamp is overwritten with the user name and time stamp of whoever last modified the record.  I need a way to track every time a modification was made to the record and who modified the record.  Nothing I have tried has worked.  I'm thinking that I need a separate table that creates a new record each time a record in my original table is modified.  In the new table I want to be able to see the unique value assigned to the record that was modified and a history of every time a modification was made to the record.  I would prefer to have only one record in my second table for each record that was modified that listed  multiple modifications.  Help!!!

Thanks,

Jess

Outcomes