3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2012 12:15 PM by philmodjunk

Using Saved Finds from other user accounts

lbellino

Title

Using Saved Finds from other user accounts

Is there a way to use saved finds from other user accounts? And be able to have others use the saved finds I create on my user account, since the database file is located on a Filemaker server and all user accounts open this same database file remotely? Thanks.

Saved_Finds.PNG

• 1. Re: Using Saved Finds from other user accounts
          philmodjunk

No, but if you use scripted finds, you can save the criteria used in a table and this table of criteria could be used with a script to repeat the same find for any user that chooses to do so.

• 2. Re: Using Saved Finds from other user accounts
            lbellino

Thanks for the response. Is there a posting/link on this blog that will show me how to create a table that you're referencing to?

• 3. Re: Using Saved Finds from other user accounts
              philmodjunk

Probably, but I have no idea if it can be pulled up out of the many threads posted here or not.

You may want to first take a step back and consider whether you really need to go to that effort to get what you need.

Will this be a find that all users need to perform and that always specifies the same criteria?

If so, you don't need anything but a find script that specifies this criteria and performs ths find. Then each user would just perform that script when needed.

You can also set up scripts that use data entered by the user in (usually) global fields to search the database and present the resulting set of found records. This method can reduce a complex process of building multiple find requests down to just a few user actions to enter or select criteria followed by clicking a button. And this method also won't need a table for storing find criteria.

You'll really only need to use a table like I mentioned if you want to set it up so that users can create and save their own "canned" finds by saving the data used as criteria in a table so that a script can reconstruct the needed find requests to pull up the data.