AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using scripts to print mailing labels with partially-used sheets

Question asked by realgrouchy on Mar 6, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 by realgrouchy

Title

Using scripts to print mailing labels with partially-used sheets

I'm trying to figure out if there's a relatively simple way of printing a page of mailing labels with one or more buffer entries (number to be specified by user) at the start so the printer skips blank mailing labels. We've been doing a lot of one-label printing after having printed our larger batches to replace damaged or missing labels.

The two most straightforward ways I can think of are:

- using a script to add the specified number of records before the first record, print, then delete those records

- having one or more alternate layouts (or page formats) with larger top margins

The first one seems likely to screw up, particularly since this is likely going to be done in the context of a master print script with multiple sub-scripts, one of which is for the mailing labels, and I'm afraid it will screw up in unexpected ways in the future (creating excess entries, or deleting valid entries, etc.) Also, there are various other checks that would get triggered on the creation of new entries.

The second one just seems cumbersome. I'll probably just do that so we can make use of the second, third and fourth rows (at least the first entry in those rows) but it's not a very clean solution.

It would be nice if there were an option in the FMP print script to print N empty records followed by records being browsed.

Any other workarounds I'm not thinking of?

- RG>

Outcomes