11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 12:28 PM by AlexanderHamilton

Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro

AlexanderHamilton

Title

Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro

Hey,

Completely new to filemaker so imagine this is pretty easy, just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction ( I am completely stuck)

I have created 2 tabs in filemaker 12 pro and placed all the fields neatly within them with graphics and labels. I can put the tabe one behind the other so that i can see the top of the tab, the problem comes when i try to enter the date. As i tab thought he fields for the tab underneat the firs one i cannot see the graphics or the labels, the first tab stays on top. Is there a way the i can tab through the tabs to bring the whole tab forward when i input data.

Any help much appreciated. 

Cheers

Al

• 1. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
          AlexanderHamilton

That should read Data not date!

• 2. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
            philmodjunk

This sounds like you have two separate Tab Controls when you should have two Tab Panels in the same Tab Control.

Could that be the case?

When you open tab control set up for a tab, you have the ability to add a new tab by entering text for its label and clicking create.

• 3. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
              AlexanderHamilton

I think thats right, i clicked on 'tab control' added a name for my tab which it then created then started adding fields and text to the tab. I can't see how to make a panel, how would i go about this. 

Thanks

• 4. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
                philmodjunk

Enter layout mode and double click the tab control to open the Tab Control Setup... dialog.

• 5. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
                  AlexanderHamilton

I have managed to do that, what do i need to do next?

• 6. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
                    philmodjunk

Then enter a name for a new tab panel and click the create button.

There is one other issue that can create problems with tab controls. Make sure that no part of your tab control touches or crosses the boundary line between the header and body layout parts. Since tab controls are most often used with form view layouts, you may even choose to click the header label and press the delete key to remove this layout part.

• 7. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
                      AlexanderHamilton

This is what i did orginally. I created two tabs with different names, then started editing within these tabs. I thought that with the tabs i would be able to put one behind the other then go between the Various tabs that i had created. This does not seem to be the case, I can put the tabs one behind the other but when inputting data they do not come to the front of the screen (the top tab is superimposed on the tab underneath in fact i can only see the field entry as i tab through). I though that by using tabs as i went through inputting date the entire tab would come up, have i used tabs incorrectly here? Do i need to place them differently on the layout screen (i.e one behind the other?). l have been reading about creating a script to go from one tab to the other, the issue i have with this is that it does not seem to recognise the tab as an object. 

I have checked and nothing is close to the the tab title

Cheers

• 8. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
                        philmodjunk

"tab title"

That's not what I meant. The most common layout parts found in a Filemaker layout are the header, body and footer. Other layout parts may or may not be present. If the tab control touches or crosses the line on your layout that divides the header from the body, you get such issues with your tab control. IF that's the case here you need to drag the entire tab control down while in layout mode so that no part of the tab control touches or crosses this line.

• 9. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
                          AlexanderHamilton

Sorry i misunderstood, i have removed the header, but this still doesn't make a difference. The screen shot below shows what i can see in browse mode, the tab underneath is obscured, is it meant to be?

• 10. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
                            philmodjunk

I see two separate tab controls on your layout. Otherwise, both would be the same width. If I am correct, then, when in layout mode, you can drag either tab control and it will move as a separate object. I these were two panels inside the same tab control, they'd be the same width and when you drag them they would move as a group.

You need to open tab control set up for one of these two tab controls, enter the tab label text and click create to create a second tab panel. Then you can copy or drag the fields and other layout objects from the other tab control to this new tab panel and then delete the extra tab control from your layout.

• 11. Re: Using Tabs in Filemaker Pro
                              AlexanderHamilton

Thats great, and fixes the problem. Thanks for you help and patience, its much appreciated.