2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2014 2:49 PM by IanH.

Using the "Hide Object When" field in Inspector.

IanH.

Title

Using the "Hide Object When" field in Inspector.

Hi all,

This seems like it should be a basic question but for some reason I am having an issue here.

Basic set up:

I have a table called Biz Tracker with 5 fields in it.

One of the fields is called "Activity". The result from the "Activity" field is a drop down box with 10 possible responses. Two of the possible responses are, "L Appointment" and "B Appointment". 

Based on the response I want a second list to appear if 'either' of those two responses are selected:

E.G. If "L Appointment" or "B Appointment" is selected I want another drop down box to appear that is called, "Source of appointment". The result will then require a selection from a pop up menu. I.E. Select from "prospecting",  "Cold Call" .... etc. 

I have used the following argument in the "Hide object when" field in the inspector:

Biz tracker data entry::Activity  ≠ "B Appointment" or Biz tracker data entry::Activity  ≠ "L Appointment"

For some reason I can only get the first argument in the string above to cause the second drop down box to appear. I.E. If I select "B Appointment" the second drop down box appears, if I select "L Appointment" it doesn't. 

I'm having a blank, any help greatly appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Using the "Hide Object When" field in Inspector.
          philmodjunk

Biz tracker data entry::Activity  ≠ "B Appointment" or Biz tracker data entry::Activity  ≠ "L Appointment"

If that is your exact expression, the layout object should always be hidden no matter what value is selected for Activity as it will always evaluate as a true statement. If activity = "B Appointment", you have False OR True which evaluates as True. If Activity = "L Appointment", you have True OR False and that evaluates as True. If Activity = "any other value here", you have True OR True and that evaluates as True.

If you want to hide the object unless Appointment = "L Appointment" or Appointment = "B Appointment", you would use:

Biz tracker data entry::Activity  ≠ "B Appointment" AND Biz tracker data entry::Activity  ≠ "L Appointment"

• 2. Re: Using the "Hide Object When" field in Inspector.
            IanH.

Thank you, knew it was a straight forward fix, couldn't see the wood for the trees, I had the "Not equals sign" but had confused the "Or" vs the "And" operator. All working great now. Thanks.