1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 9:36 PM by casey777

Using the lookup function in a plumbing supply invoice program with over 30,000 products items.

rtsue

Title

Using the lookup function in a plumbing supply invoice program with over 30,000 products items.

I'm preparing to develop an invoicing system for my plumbing supply company.  I have over 30,000 items and the number is growing rapidly everyday.  The item code for most items are very similiar because of the nature of the items, for example a very simple case for a 1 1/4" Tee is available in many types of materials such as brass, black iron, PVC, copper, etc.  The code for these would be 114TBR,114TB,114TP,114TC,etc.  with significantly different prices.  I would need enter these into the invoicing system as a customer is reading off a list of materials (very quickly) without having to write down the item then entering the item later.  I was hoping have an accurate lookup based on a code that I don't have to memorize (30,000 +) items.  Will this work in Filemaker 10?.

• 1. Re: Using the lookup function in a plumbing supply invoice program with over 30,000 products items.
          casey777

Of course it will work in Filemaker 10. I'm not sure if using a lookup is the best way. I believe having these items in a related table and placing an order portal on your customer layout would work smoothly. Fields in the portal would include item number, description, price, and whatever else. Rather than a pull down menu to find each item, you could use the auto-complete option with the script trigger- OnObjectKeystroke to watch for use of the Enter or Return key which would complete the selection, display the item information, and go to the next portal row.

You could also use another portal on the layout to sort through all inventory items allowing you to find items when you and your customer don't know an item code.  

There's much more you could then do such as pulling the items from inventory, totally the order, printing it as an invoice, etc.

So each customer would have their main table occurrence, a related table occurrence for orders/invoices/payments, etc., and a table occurrence for inventory, and much more.