3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 8:40 AM by philmodjunk

using the portal filter properly

phoonyik

Title

using the portal filter properly

Hi, I am having difficulty with portals.

in my database I have 3 tables, the main dtabase, the model to contacts table and the contact information table

so the main database is linked to the model to contact table via PI_fk and the model to contact table is linked via Ci_fk.

and in the model to contact table, there are 3 fields, called PI_fk, Ci_fk and the contact_type which is either vetter or owner

so for the portal in the main database, i set filter on the portal to show only when model to contact::contact_type = "owner"

however, It will show all the contacts from the contact information table regardless of whether iti s owner or vetter as long as the first contact in the contact info table is 'owner'

what am i doing wrong? this is confusing.

thanks

• 1. Re: using the portal filter properly
          philmodjunk

Main----<Model to Contacts>----Contact Information

Main::PI_pk = Model to Contacts::PI_fk
               Contact Information::CI_pk = Model to Contacts::CI_fk

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

So is your portal on the layout for "Main", a portal to Model to Contacts or Contact Information? (see portal Set up | Show Related Records from)

It sounds like you have a portal to Contact Information when you should have a portal to Modelt To Contacts instead. If needed, fields from Contact Information can be added to the portal row of a portal to "Model to Contacts".

• 2. Re: using the portal filter properly
            phoonyik

the portal is on the Main layout.

so basically for the portal, for the option of filtering , i selected it and in the calculation box the condition was Model to Contacts::Contact Type = "Owner"    however, somehow it doesnt seem to work. and yes, the portal displays information from the Contact Information table, not the Model to Contact. 

Is that the reason why its not working?

• 3. Re: using the portal filter properly
              philmodjunk

Yes, that's the reason you are getting the results that you see.