2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 1:16 PM by IanH

Using Value Lists to generate sub-divided reports?

IanH

Title

Using Value Lists to generate sub-divided reports?

Thanks to information in this forum I've been able to generate a monthly report format ('money in' per month shown by date, from various sources (about a dozen) with sub-totals for the months).  I have a field that I've used to generate a value list from input values of my money sources.  Is it possible to use say 3 or 4 (selectable) values to generate another report that sub-divides money per month into money for each of the 3 or 4 values/month?

Thanks in advance for any info.

• 1. Re: Using Value Lists to generate sub-divided reports?
          philmodjunk

Yes it's possible. You might even be able to use the same report layout you've already created. (It depends on the details of your table and layout design.) Since sub-summary parts are only visible if the found set is sorted on the sub-summary's "break" field, you can sometimes control which Sub-Summary parts appear simply by sorting your found set on different fields. If this is not possible, you can set a script that uses the value in your drop down to select the appropriate layout and then sorts the records as needed to group the records as needed for the sub-summaries.

Define a global field.

Place it in the Header of your report.

Format it with your value list.

Use Format | Sliding/Printing... to set it to not be printed so it won't show in your report.

Create your script to sort and select a layout as needed.

If this is FMP 10, you can then attach this script as an On object/exit script trigger (drop down) or On Object/Modify (pop up). If this is an earlier version, you can place a button next to the menu field to perform the script. (Don't forget to set it to "do not print" just like the field.)

• 2. Re: Using Value Lists to generate sub-divided reports?
            IanH
               Great!  Let me thrash through your suggestions and see how far I get.  Many thanks.