2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2008 2:36 PM by cfitzsimmons

Using values in one table for another

cfitzsimmons

Title

Using values in one table for another

I have what I thought was going to be an easy need. However I have not been able to accomplish the following.

I have 2 separate db's, each with their own tables/DL's that work fine. One is "Company Personnel" and the other is "Contacts". Neither table is related to the other. There is no reason to relate these tables until now.  

I am now developing a Call list mechanism in the "Contacts" db. This has notes, dates etc which are all defined within the "Contacts" db to be assigned to a person in "Company Personnel". Now all I need to do is create a DL that contains all occurrences of "Company Personnel", in fact their "Full Name" (which exists in "Company Personnel" in the "Contact" db. Then make a filed that will contain this DL and enable the selection of a person. Then we can find on this field.

For whatever reason I cannot figure this one out. I have tried to relate the tables using the not = to and create a DL that is a calculation or lookup to no avail. I either get a combination in the DL of one name and the rest blanks or I am not able to select the field that contains the DL. Then if I do select a member in the DL where a name appears I get a warning that this field is not modifiable.

I am using Filemaker Pro 9 and this need is modifying the Business Productivity Solution. Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Using values in one table for another
          Jens Teich
             What do you mean with 'DL'?

Do both databases have primary keys?

Jens

• 2. Re: Using values in one table for another
            cfitzsimmons

Jens,

DL should have been VL - Value List, sorry.

I just figured this out. I went into the "Manage DB" and in the table I needed the "company personnel full name" info I inserted this external table and created a not = relationship using the Full Name field for S&G. Next I created a field in this tabl, then created a calculation that returned all full_name from the external table "company personnel". Lastly I placed the new field as a popup in the appropriate layout.

I tried so many different combinations to make this happen I messed myself up.

Thasnk for responding. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Carl