AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using values in one table for another

Question asked by cfitzsimmons on Dec 24, 2008
Latest reply on Dec 24, 2008 by cfitzsimmons

Title

Using values in one table for another

I have what I thought was going to be an easy need. However I have not been able to accomplish the following.

I have 2 separate db's, each with their own tables/DL's that work fine. One is "Company Personnel" and the other is "Contacts". Neither table is related to the other. There is no reason to relate these tables until now.  

I am now developing a Call list mechanism in the "Contacts" db. This has notes, dates etc which are all defined within the "Contacts" db to be assigned to a person in "Company Personnel". Now all I need to do is create a DL that contains all occurrences of "Company Personnel", in fact their "Full Name" (which exists in "Company Personnel" in the "Contact" db. Then make a filed that will contain this DL and enable the selection of a person. Then we can find on this field.

For whatever reason I cannot figure this one out. I have tried to relate the tables using the not = to and create a DL that is a calculation or lookup to no avail. I either get a combination in the DL of one name and the rest blanks or I am not able to select the field that contains the DL. Then if I do select a member in the DL where a name appears I get a warning that this field is not modifiable.

I am using Filemaker Pro 9 and this need is modifying the Business Productivity Solution. Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Thanks 

Outcomes