8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 4:51 AM by CountryBoy1

USR Files, Purpose ?

CountryBoy1

Title

USR Files, Purpose ?

Created a Filemaker Pro 9 .exe application (on an XP computer) that is put on a

Vista computer.  When the .exe file is created, there's also a .USR file created.

What is the purpose of the .USR file ?

Also, when I tell the .exe application file to "Save a copy as", it creates a .USR file.

Does this actually save any of the data ?  Do I have to Export the data in order to

make a copy of it ?  (The Vista computer does not have Filemaker Pro on it.  It only

has the .exe application file and the files that go with it.)

Thanks for your help.  CountryBoy1

• 1. Re: USR Files, Purpose ?
          comment_1
             The .USR file is your solution file. The .exe is the runtime engine (basically, a crippled Filemaker application).
          • 2. Re: USR Files, Purpose ?
            CountryBoy1

Dear Contributor:

Still don't quite understand.  The .exe file is the file that I run.  It's much

larger than the .USR file.  Is the .USR file necessary for the .exe file to run ?

CountryBoy1

• 3. Re: USR Files, Purpose ?
              comment_1

CountryBoy1 wrote:

The .exe file is the file that I run.

The .exe file is the one you open - but being a runtime, it has the name of the primary solution file permanently stored in it - and it opens that file automatically (if it can find it). If you remove the solution file (i.e. the .USR file), nothing will work.

• 4. Re: USR Files, Purpose ?
                CountryBoy1

Dear Super Contributor:

Sort of understand it a little.  The .USR file defines the tables, code, etc.

of the application, is that true ?  What about backing up the data ?  Is the

data NOT in the .USR file ?  Must it be Exported to have a backup copy of

the data ?

• 5. Re: USR Files, Purpose ?
                  comment_1

Your data and the entire schema (tables, fields, relationships, scripts, layouts, etc.) reside in the .USR file. This file is your original .fp7 file with a very minor modification (see Runtime question).

I am not sure how to answer your question about backups: you can save a copy of the file, you can export the data, or both - it all depends on your backup plan. 

• 6. Re: USR Files, Purpose ?
                    CountryBoy1

Dear Super Contributor:

It sounds like the data is stored in the .USR file, so that means that when I "Save a copy as" and

it makes a new .USR file, then I have really saved (or backed up) my data.  I guess that I'm wondering

if I can tell the .exe file to read in a different .USR file.  What if the latest data gets messed up and I

want to revert to a previously saved .USR file ?

• 7. Re: USR Files, Purpose ?
                      comment_1

CountryBoy1 wrote:

What if the latest data gets messed up and I

want to revert to a previously saved .USR file ?

I believe you need to replace the current .USR file with the backup file (including renaming, if necessary). Or you could import data from the backup.

• 8. Re: USR Files, Purpose ?
                        CountryBoy1

Dear Super Contributor:

I tried the Import from a previous saved .USR file and it worked well. I also

took the original .USR file and deleted it and renamed a saved (backup) .USR file

to have the original name, and the .exe application used it with no problem. 

I'm starting to get the big picture.  Your help has been great.  I will

mark your reply as the solution.  

Thanks, CountryBoy1