5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 1:58 PM by philmodjunk

UTF-8 text help

ChrisJohnston

Title

UTF-8 text help

Hi does anybody know how to take the technique used here and make it so that the result does not have extra line. I mean the blank lines in-between my result text. I tried without the ¶ and I just get a bunch of mashed text together. Thanks

fmvarskipline.jpg

• 1. Re: UTF-8 text help
          philmodjunk

What application are you using to inspect the results of your export?

Discussion following the articles suggests that some text editors and/or word processors might insert an extra return when they open the text file.

• 2. Re: UTF-8 text help
            ChrisJohnston

That what I showed the picture of is Notepad++ but the end result is for a program addon for Firefox called iMacros. I am referring to this not specific to the need here, I don't need such a clean output now. The result here works flawlessly. I was thinking and was planning a use of this technique and I will need clean (no extra line) output. Thanks

• 3. Re: UTF-8 text help
              philmodjunk

Yes, but the unanswered question is whether the application that opened the file treated the hard return as a paragraph separator and added a blank line or if your XML export inserted an extra return character. I'm just starting to learn XML myself so I don't know, I've just pointed out that the author of the article you referenced was suggesting (in the discussion following the article) the former while you are concluding the latter.

• 4. Re: UTF-8 text help
                ChrisJohnston

Looking at Notepad++ 's hidden characters is see it handled it as a hard return, the same in Dreamweaver. I am am thinking that this is more related to XML and XSLT stylesheets since XML can be read by many applications. I mean because I can open in Notepad++ Dreamweaver or any type of editor before the application that is using it get to handle the text as XML that is generated and view that a line was skipped. I am going to continue testing with this. The good part is so far a don't have any problems with functionally for the scripts that it is generating or multiple plugins and applications. I am considering it for some idea where the text display will be important. I wonder if <[CDATA]..]> can be helpful here, because it can read the data as is in XML. Is there any other character in FileMake that produce a new line other than ¶? Thanks

• 5. Re: UTF-8 text help
                  philmodjunk

But it should be a hard return. That was specified in the grammar spelled out in the other link. The implication of your post is that there are TWO hard returns and this should not be the case.

But many text editors/word processors interpret a hard return as the end of a paragraph and automatically insert added space to separate the paragraphs and if this is the case, your output is then exactly what the article specified as the desired format.