1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2013 4:18 PM by philmodjunk

Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7

BarretBowman

Title

Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7

Hello, I am pretty fresh to this program and have spent the last week or two doing my best to familiarize myself with the process of creating your own working database. I am now at a place in which I have a task I'd absolutely love to be capable of creating. I'm just not sure how to do it or if it's even possible. Below is an image of the "very basic" and mock layout I have set up. I can import all of my clips from FCP7 into FMP12 via batch list, I got that far. I was now wondering how I could link the actual clips to the video container field and use the buttons to not only control the video (pause, play, next frame, etc) but make markers or more specifically, sub clips. We are going to be shooting a lot of footage for multiple projects for months to come and we need a mothership of all this information in which we can search keywords and other info quickly and precisely. If we can take the clips straight from FCP7 and import them into FMP12 and not only organize but note, sub-clip, and mark these clips that would be ideal. At that point, we would then like to export JUST the sub clips back into FCP7 in which they actually somehow show up in the FCP7 browser window. Worst case scenario, if the timestamps/markers from the in and out points of the sub-clips could be visible on the original clip once exported back to FCP7. If all of that is at all possible it would also be extremely helpful to set hot keys for specific buttons in the layout. Any help would be tremendously appreciated as we are on a time crunch. Thanks in advance, Barret Bowman Easton Bell Sports

FMP12__FCP7_Screenshot.jpg

• 1. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
          philmodjunk

I don't think that will all be possible in FileMaker--though a search for plug ins might produce some that add missing capabilities.

FileMaker Pro is not a video editing program. If "creating sub clips" means that you want to take one video file and break it up into smaller clips, it can't be done. If you mean you want to define a 'sub clip' record that links to a portion of a given video file, I doubt that there's a way to do that either.

In terms of linking the imported video files to specific records in your database, what you show appears to be a set of fields all from the same table. There is nothing to link, it's just a matter of importing the correct videos into the correct records and I can't tell from here whether you already have data in your new database or if you will input data in to the other fields after importing your videos.

If you need to link the same video file to multiple records, then you should set up a related table of your video clip container fields to make that possible.

Most of the playback controls that you show automatically come with the container field, a field you'll want to use the Data Tab in the inspector to "optimize for interactive content".

• 2. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
            BarretBowman
             Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling that wouldn't be possible but I just wanted to make sure. I do have records from an imported batch list via FCP7 but it only imports the clip's information. I am trying to have a record for each clip, I don't think I'll be wanting a video file for multiple records. So there is a way to view the actual clip in the container field import from FCP7? I did make the container "optimized for interactive content" but do i have to import a video file (it'd be an .mov file) for that to work? Thanks again
            • 3. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
              philmodjunk

You will need to insert or import a movie file (typically the reference to the file, actually) before you can view it in the container field. This assumes that each "clip" is a separate video file.

• 4. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                BarretBowman
                 Yes each clip is a separate video file. So there is no way to go directly from FCP7 to the container field in FMP12 for viewing the footage? Can I create a button that marks in and out points in the video and pulls up a field in which I can write notes about that specific in and out point? And if so, is there anyway to get that back into FCP7? I've read that I would have to export an XML and write my own XSLT to translate the information back. But I don't know if it would relate marks in a clip. I really appreciate the support.
                • 5. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                  philmodjunk

Yes each clip is a separate video file. So there is no way to go directly from FCP7 to the container field in FMP12 for viewing the footage?

I don't know anything about FCP7 so can answer neither yes nor no.

Can I create a button that marks in and out points in the video and pulls up a field in which I can write notes about that specific in and out point?

Depends on what exactly you mean by "marks in and out points". You can certainly set up a table of related notes about a single video file, but am not sure what you mean by that phrase.

And if so, is there anyway to get that back into FCP7?

I don't know anything about FCP7 so can answer neither yes nor no.

I've read that I would have to export an XML and write my own XSLT to translate the information back. But I don't know if it would relate marks in a clip. I really appreciate the support.

XML data export is supported by FileMaker so it comes down to the exact meaning of "marks in a clip".

• 6. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                    BarretBowman
                     Okay no worries I appreciate all the feedback anyways. As far as "in and out points": I guess, more specifically, can I be watching the video clip and when I see, say a "good moment" in the clip, can I mark that point (with maybe a timestamp or marker) and write a note about it? And then maybe at another moment in the video clip do the same thing? Hope that makes sense.
                    • 7. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                      philmodjunk

As long as it doesn't need to modify the video file, maybe. I haven't tried a lot of video playback from FileMaker. You might import a single video file into an interactive container field and play with it. If you haven't purchased FileMaker yet, you can download a free 30 day trial copy to see what you can get it to do. I don't think there's any way to automatically capture a point in the video, but if you can see the info you need as part of the playback, that info could be manually entered into a field in a portal of related "notes" records.

I wonder if there might be a way to use both applications instead of trying to do it all in FileMaker? (Use filemaker for production and editing notes, use FCP7 for the rest...)

Also, if you can export the file names of the video files from FCP7, then it would be possible to import the videos into a table in FileMaker and use the file names to match videos up to a set of records in another table by those file names.

• 8. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                        BarretBowman
                         I already have filemaker fortunately. We actually do plan to use both, since we are editing video it is usually necessary to have multiple monitors up so we can have both programs up and next to each other simultaneously without being inefficient. I am trying to clearly understand your last statement and I think I get it. I think that would actually be very helpful and we were hoping to achieve something along those lines anyways. I'm not 100% on exactly what you mean, though.
                        • 9. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                          philmodjunk

You've talked of exporting data from Final Cut Pro, but not having the program, I don't know what options you have for exporting data and don't know if the filename for each video file is data that is present in the program and if it can be exported in a format that can be imported into fileMaker. If this data is present in FCP7 and if it can be exported, chances are that Filemaker can import it. That can load a series of records in your database with the data you need except for the videos.

FileMaker can import data from a wide variety of file formats including, tab, csv, excel and xml.

If FCP7 supports ODBC, you may also be able to import the data from FCP7 as an ODBC import which can offer additional opportunities including the chance of sending data from Filemaker back to FCP7.

Once you have that data imported, if you then use Import Records with the folder option, you can import each of the video files from a single folder into a second table in FileMaker all in one operation. This option allows you also to import the file names into the same record as your container field. This would then make a relationship linking records in the video clip table to the records of other data imported from FCP7 and this would then correctly match up a given video clip to it's corresponding record of other data imported from FCP7.

• 10. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                            BarretBowman
                            I am given quite a bit of data from Final Cut through exporting and importing the batch list, including the clip's name. As well as other useful information like, frame rate, aspect ratio, audio information, timecode, and more. So I can take these clip names and link them to another table with all of the videos I imported from a folder on my drive? Right? I'll have to separately import the two and then link the records in FMP, therefore giving me the ability to watch and take further notes on the clip in Filemaker. I included an example of sort of what I am looking at, with the container field above the information about the clip.
                            • 11. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                              philmodjunk

If the "clip name" is exactly the same as the file name of the video, then yes there's a way to import all your video clips into one table and match them up via a relationship to a second table of your imported FCP7 data.

• 12. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                                BarretBowman
                                 Okay that's good. But I don't really know how to do that. I have watched some tutorials on it but I am still a bit lost. Let's say I have the table of all the videos imported and all of the FCP7 information imported in separate tables, how exactly do I link them via relationship?
                                • 13. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                                  philmodjunk

Go to manage | database | Relationships

You'll find a table occurrence "box" for each of these two tables.

Drag from the file name field in one box to the file name field in the other.

You'll see a relationship line appear and the two tables are now related by the video clip file name.

With this relationship in place, you can add fields--such as the video clip container field from one table to a layout based on the other table.

• 14. Re: Utilizing Filemaker 12 to Create Subclips in Final Cut Pro 7
                                    BarretBowman
                                     Great! Thank you so much for the help thus far. At this point I can watch the video and see all of the connected information. I would love to be able to create a button that when clicked, creates a new text field for notes. Though this would only be useful if it could be stamped with the timecode for the video at when the button is pressed. Does this make sense? If I click the button at 00:23 into the video, if a field could pop up for notes with that tagged on it that's ideal. Is that do-able?
                                    1 2 Previous Next