6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2012 12:34 AM by ChrisSmythe

Validating Portal Fields

ChrisSmythe

Title

Validating Portal Fields

Hello, I am running FileMaker Pro v12 on Windows XP and am hoping that someone would kindly assist me with the following (please see my database at the following link):

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D0681807_60165357_49551  (Account Name: Admin   Password: click on OK as there is no password).

When I open the Personnel Layout and enter information into the Operation / Exercise field which is located in the Deployment Details area, the field allows me to enter in anything I type in.  This field is part of the Deployment Details Portal.

However, when I open the Operation & Exercise Names Layout and type in the Operation Name field, I can only type in those values listed in the dropdown list.

How can I please get the user to type into the Personnel Layout in the Operation / Exercise field so that they can only enter in values that are in the field's ValueList.  Value List name is: OperationExerciseNames.  This value list is associated with: ListOfOperations::OperationName.

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 1. Re: Validating Portal Fields
          philmodjunk

go to Manage | Database | Fields and find the field definition for the operation / exercise field. Double click it to open the Field Options dialog. On the validation tab, you'll find an option for limiting the value of the field to being the member of a designated value list.

• 2. Re: Validating Portal Fields
            ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk, thank you for you help - greatly appreciated.  However, I had already done what you had suggested and it still does not work through the portal field as described in my original post.

Any suggestions please as to why this is so?

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 3. Re: Validating Portal Fields
              philmodjunk

It works for me.

I found the field in Manage | database | fields

Set a validation limiting values in the field to the value list.

When I then enter DDDDD in the field, I get a validation error message.

• 4. Re: Validating Portal Fields
                ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk,

I am confused??

It does not work for me.

Just to be sure, that we are doing the same thing, I have attached a screen-shot of the Deployment Details Portal in the Personnel Layout.  I have highlighted using a red rectangle the field that I am having problems with regards data validation.

Is this the same field you used?

Kind regards,

Chris smiley

• 5. Re: Validating Portal Fields
                  philmodjunk

Yes, that's the one.

• 6. Re: Validating Portal Fields
                    ChrisSmythe

Hello PhilModJunk,

My apologies, you are correct, I got confused between the DeploymentDetails::OperationExercise field and the ListOfOperations::OperationName field.

I feel like a "right donkey" - I must be having a bad day...

Again, sorry about that and thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Chris smiley