AnsweredAssumed Answered

Validation before saving record  based on two fields

Question asked by yomango on Apr 14, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 by yomango

Title

Validation before saving record  based on two fields

Hello out there. I have tried the following validation using all type of permutations but I can't get it to work all the time: 

I have two fields: when in a field the word "approved" is typed in, the field Email needs to be populated. The record can't be saved if the condition is not met and a message should pop up: "You must enter email"

Since the validation custom message works when the validation fails, and I am using a Calculation to validate data, it seems to me as if I have to write the calculation "the opposite" of what I want. If the calculation goes: Field1="approved" and Not IsEmpty(Email), any data that does not match the calculation will produce the Validation message". So, that calculation does not work.

The calculation: Field1≠"approved" and Email=" ", will produce the message when I type  any other word in field1 and populate EMail. Does not work either. 

And many other permutations I've tried. Can somebody help, please? I can make a trigger script to work when the "approved" word is typed in Field1, but that does not stop me from moving into another record if I do not comply.

Thank you

Outcomes