3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2013 9:49 AM by philmodjunk

Validation of Data Entry with Strings of numbers

Mike_1

Title

Validation of Data Entry with Strings of numbers

I need to set up a field "STOP" number to only allow certain sets of numbers for data entry or they will fall outside of the defined search string. I need to validate a series of sets of numbers so that the data entered is only day within these number strings.

ie.. 

allow stop number to be only... 

and so on....

I do script searches for these stop number strings. If I was to enter something outside of these strings of numbers the account will not show up in my searches.

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: Validation of Data Entry with Strings of numbers
          philmodjunk

You might consider setting up a value list for each of the allowed value range combinations. And a validation can require that the entered value be a member of that defined value list.

• 2. Re: Validation of Data Entry with Strings of numbers
            Mike_1

Wow...  so in the valuelist I would have

6504  and so on?? 

I also use a decimal point sometims to have numbers inbetween like

6500.1 6500.2

Anyway to build this file auto? It will be huge! That's why I thought a calculation for the numbers to fall between a string would work best.

• 3. Re: Validation of Data Entry with Strings of numbers
              philmodjunk

Please explain what makes your example list of ranges valid:

and then explain what ranges would be invalid.

If any range is valid as long as the first value is less than the second, a pretty simple validation field option can be set to reject ranges such as:

I would recommend that you use two fields for this with different validation calculations on each field. The first can require that the field not be empty. The second can require that it's value must be greater than the value in the first field...