11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 11:56 AM by synergy46

Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?

synergy46

Title

Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?

I have been wrestling with this one for weeks.  I have looked at it from the view point of relationships and checked the constructs of my value lists.  It is just weird and it driving me nuts.

There are two problems:

#1) The Many table (optionTransactions) is setup to get the OptionTransactions::optionid.fk value from Options::optionId.pk and Options::optsymbol.  It should return the optsymbol.  Instead it returns the OPTIONS::optionID.pk value.  When I click the same value a 2nd time, it finally gives me the Options::optsymbol I expected all along.  

#2) With each OptionTransactions new record, a new record is added to Options.  Even if I turn off 'add records' in the relationship, this happens.  Why?

Please take a look at give me your thoughts:  Click Here

• 1. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
          TSGal

synergy46:

Thank you for your post.

The OptionTransactions and Options tables are connected via the OptionId.fk and OptionID.pk fields, respectively.  In your pop-up, you are using the option.pk field as the pop-up.  Since the two tables are already linked by this field, there is no reason to have it.  You already know the contents of the optsymbol field.  It sounds like you may want to start with the Options table and add multiple records to the OptionTransactions table.  True?  Then switch the entry around.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
            synergy46

TSGal wrote:

synergy46:

Thank you for your post.

The OptionTransactions and Options tables are connected via the OptionId.fk and OptionID.pk fields, respectively.  In your pop-up, you are using the option.pk field as the pop-up.  Since the two tables are already linked by this field, there is no reason to have it.  You already know the contents of the optsymbol field.  It sounds like you may want to start with the Options table and add multiple records to the OptionTransactions table.  True?  Then switch the entry around.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

When you say "It sounds like you may want to start with the Options table and add multiple records to the OptionTransactions table.", are you saying that my portal should be based on options and that the optiontransactions::optionid.fk field should do a lookup to get the optsymbol in OPTIONS?

• 3. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
              TSGal

synergy46:

Your Stock table can have many Options, and each Option can have many OptionTransactions.  Therefore, you need an Option before you can create an OptionTransaction.  Therefore, the layout should be based on Options, and the portal based on OptionTransactions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
                synergy46

Right.  Making the appropriate changes (layout based on Options; portal based on OPTIONtrnansactions) shows ALL the options created.  However, if I "Include Related Values Starting from STOCK (Yes, there is a relationship between Options and Stock) I get "No Values Defined". 

This is very perplexing.  I have verified that OPTIONS::Stockid.fk and STOCK::stockID.pk are in sync and the two values are the same.  But it doesn't work?

I am really missing something here but can't seem to see what it is.

• 5. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
                  TSGal

synergy46:

Make sure you have a value in STOCK:stockID.pk and OPTIONS::Stockid.fk that match.  In the file I sent back, I believe there was a value 1 in each.  If in STOCK, you have a portal into OPTIONS, enter a "1" into the STOCK::stockID.pk field, and you should get at least one record showing in the portal.  If not, send me the file as before, and I'll take a look.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
                    synergy46

TSGal wrote:

synergy46:

Make sure you have a value in STOCK:stockID.pk and OPTIONS::Stockid.fk that match.

>>Yes, I opened extra windows and put STOCK and OPTIONS in each.  I also, added the OPTIONS::stockid.fk to the layout and it's number matches the STOCK::stockid.pk.

In the file I sent back, I believe there was a value 1 in each.  If in STOCK, you have a portal into OPTIONS, enter a "1" into the STOCK::stockID.pk field, and you should get at least one record showing in the portal.  If not, send me the file as before, and I'll take a look.

>>STOCK just holds the symbol and name of the stock.  There is no portal to anywhere.  OPTIONS hold the stockid.fk in order to link StockTransactions::optionid.fk to the STOCK::stockID.  The idea here is that when I setup OptionTransactions::OptionID.fk as a popup, it would "Include Values Only Starting From STOCK" and when the user clicks oon the StrockTransactions::optionid.fk field, they would see ONLY the options related to an active stock.  THIS DOES NOT WORK???!!  Seems like it should but I can't figure out why not.....

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
                      TSGal

synergy46:

There are many OptionTransactions to an Option, and many Options to a Stock.  If you enter an OptionTransactions:: OptionID.fk, this then should relate back to the appropriate Stock.  However, it doesn't know which STOCK until you enter the key.  It seems that you want to select the Stock first, then the Option, and then the list of related OptionTransactions display. What am I missing?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
                        synergy46

Above the portal is a mergefield that shows the current stock.  Also, I have added the stock:stockid.pk and option:stockid.fk to my portal and they both show the same value; the key for the mergefield stock.

My problem is that the options symbols in the popup DO NOT reflect the stock.  

Did you get the application?  I had sent it to Steve and he said he sent it to you?

• 9. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
                          TSGal

synergy46:

I have not looked at email this morning, so I apologize for not looking sooner.

I have the same setup as you.  When I change to "Include all values", I see many more options.  When I switch back to only show related values from Stock, I only show a subset.

I am sending the file back to our Technical Support contact so he can log it and send it back to you.  You will see the difference in the last layout.  If you don't receive it by the end of the day, please let me know, and I'll make sure it gets sent.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
                            synergy46

When I switch back to only show related values from Stock, I only show a subset.

Wow.  It sounds like you got it to work.  I am excited to get the file to see how you did it.  Thanks for your efforts.

• 11. Re: Value List acting weird.  Can any of you 'brainiacs' help me?
                              synergy46

I received Steve's file.  It looks like it has the same problems as before:

ie:

If the layout is based on stocks, I can get a subset of options related to a stock but when 1st clicking the OptionTransactions:OptionID.fk I get the PK and when clicked a 2nd time I get the optSymbol (the desired outcome).

If the layout is based on options, I can get All options to work and show the symbol as desired but when I change the Value List dialog to "Include only related values from STOCK" I get the dreaded "undefined" ERROR... grrrrr

What next?