4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2011 5:11 PM by David40

Value List Edits

David40

Title

Value List Edits

I have several Value Lists in my database.  Some use "custom values" and others use data "from fields".  

I need to clean-up the entries in these value lists.  I added an"Edit" to the custom value lists and cleaned up the entires.  However, when I try to add an "Edit" to the Value Lists that use "from fields", it won't allow me.  

So how do I "edit" Value Lists that do not use custom values?  (For example, I have "January", "JANUARY", "january", and "jaunary" in the same value list).

Thank you in advance,

Dave

• 1. Re: Value List Edits
          raybaudi

"For example, I have "January", "JANUARY", "january", and "jaunary" in the same value list"

To clean-up those entries, you have to clean-up the values of the "from" field.

• 2. Re: Value List Edits
            David40

Thank you, Raybaudi. 

However, how do I clean-up the values of the "from" field?  This was my initial question.

• 3. Re: Value List Edits
              Sorbsbuster

Go to the table that the values come from.

Go into 'Find' mode.  Click into the field that you want to 'clean'.  Click Ctrl+I or Cmd+I (or Insert | From Index...) and choose the value list item you want to remove.

Perform the find.

Change the erroneous values in the records you find to be the correct value.  Use the 'Replace' menu option if there are a lot.  USE THAT WITH CARE, as always.

That 'bad' value will no longer be in the list.

Repeat with the others, until the value list you see with Ctrl+I looks the way you want it to.

• 4. Re: Value List Edits
                David40

Thank you Sorbsbuster!  That was too easy a solution.  This forum is the greatest!