4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 9:40 AM by Rudy1

Value list equations

Rudy1

Title

Value list equations

I am trying to make a value list using equations. filemaker does not seem to recognize it as.  example   12/4 on a value list comes up as a number 124 when i put it into a calculated field, It seems to lose the division. Can anyone help. please

• 1. Re: Value list equations
          mrvodka

Rudy1 wrote:
          I am trying to make a value list using equations. filemaker does not seem to recognize it as.  example   12/4 on a value list comes up as a number 124 when i put it into a calculated field, It seems to lose the division. Can anyone help. please

Please elaborate what you mean by putting it into a calculated field?

• 2. Re: Value list equations
            Rudy1

When I create a new field and make it a calculated one. In the calculation I am trying to use a field that pulls from a value list to pull up part of the equastion. example, lenght(8) x width(8) x stock(12/4) --- 12/4 is part of a value list that includes 6/4 8/4 10/4 that is in a drop down field in stock. Somehow I can not get the program to recognize the / symbol. when I do the above calculation it reads as 8x8x124. where I want it to read 8x8x(12 divided by 4 equalls 3) so you would have 8x8x3. Sorry if I am not explaining it right

• 3. Re: Value list equations
              mrvodka

Try:

length & " X " & width & " X " & Evaluate ( stock )

• 4. Re: Value list equations
                Rudy1
                   It worked! Thanks so much, the "evaluate"  was exactly what I was looking for.