2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 1:58 AM by jwilson

value list from checkboxes

jwilson

Title

value list from checkboxes

This is apparently a simple task, but I am unable to get consistent results - sometime it works as intended, other times not.

1. I have a field with a series of 10 check boxes, giving text results

2.,On the basis of the checked boxes, I want to generate and use value list so that the items checked in the field above can be detailed via a relationship & portal on the same record & layout.

3. I hvae set up a self join relationship which I think should generate the correct list based on checked items, but the value list only seems to update when I generate the next record, i.e. when I am inputing data on the current record, there is  no value list available in the drop down field when I go to the portal.  Should I make a new record and then go back to the previous one, this now has a the corrcet values in the drop down list in the portal.

Is it possoble to force the updateing of the list without going to the next record?  or am I going about this in the wrong way?

Can anyone push me in the right direction?  I used FM extensively a few years back but am now a bit rusty

• 1. Re: value list from checkboxes
          GuyStevens

When you are checking values in a checkbox set the values only get committed (or saved) when you exit that field, or commit it manually.

What I would do is attach a script trigger to that field on the "OnObjectModify" event.

The script trigger should be a simple "commit record" script step.

That way, the moment you modify the value of that field (check a box) it get's committed (saved)

In layout mode just right click the checkbox set and go to script triggers.

If you have any more questions make sure to let us know.

• 2. Re: value list from checkboxes
            jwilson

Thanks for the fast repsonse, that worked fine !

smiley

I am working on a Mac, should this solution also be ok if the same db is run on FM for  Windows?