AnsweredAssumed Answered

value list from field, showing repetitions

Question asked by jringold on Jul 2, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 4, 2010 by comment_1

Title

value list from field, showing repetitions

Hello, thanks for any help with this question!

Basic info.

Filemaker version: 11

Operating system: XP

Database info.: value list "DonorID" is from field. It uses values from first field Donors::DonorID. It also displays values from second field Donors::Last_Name "Includes All Values" and sorts using the second field.

My level of experience: Filemaker newbie, competent with SQL and  relational databases

What I am trying to accomplish is a drop down list using this value list. If I sort using the first field (DonorID), it works fine. But I'd like to sort using the last name, so I specify to sort using the second field. This also works fine unless there is more than one instance of a last name. If so, only the first instance appears. For instance, if there are two last names "Smith", only one will appear in the drop down. If I change one last name to "Smithy" , both will appear.  So I guess that I need to allow repetition somehow. BTW the purpose of the drop down list is to add related records (for instance event attendance by this donor.)

Thanks!

-Jim

Edit: Thanks all! Yes, it appears that my best option is to include the first name and donorID in the calculation, and to display the second field only in the value list. That way my calculation looks like this:

Last_Name & ", " & First_Name & " " & "(" & Donor_ID & ")"

-Jim

Outcomes