1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 7:14 AM by philmodjunk

Value list from file won't create an entry for every record if field has same value in it

RandolphMcmillan

Title

Value list from file won't create an entry for every record if field has same value in it

I have a small table of about 30 records that has only two fields, the city and zip code. I use it in a pop-up menu to select a city and also have the zip code field populated automatically. It works fine except that one town has four zip codes, so there are four entries in the table with the same city name but different zip codes, and the Value List will only create one entry for that city.  I know this is the problem because  have added a number to the end of the city name so they are different and it creates an entry for all four.

Yes, I do have the  "include All Values" option selected.

Does anyone know a way to force the Value List to create an entry for every record in the table?

I am using FMPA v13.

• 1. Re: Value list from file won't create an entry for every record if field has same value in it
          philmodjunk

This is how the value lists that use values from a Field are designed to work and it can be frustrating at times. If you sort on the city field or specify that the city field be the only value visible, duplicate city names will be automatically dropped out.

You can sort on the zipcode field, but that'll drive your users nuts.

Other options:

Use a calculation field to combine the city and zipcode fields. Specify this as the second field and hide the first field so that the user doesn't see the zipcode twice in the value list.

Make it a conditional value list where you select a city from one drop down and the zipcode from another. Selecting the City limits the zipcodes in the value list to just those from that city.

Don't use a value list, use a selection portal where a portal lists the city and zipcode data in rows and you click a button to select. This can be popped up in a small window or (if using FileMaker 13), a popover. A search field above the portal can be used to narrow the list of zipcodes keystroke by keystroke.