6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 7:40 AM by senriz_1

Value list from multiple fields problem

LarsBC

Title

Value list from multiple fields problem

Hello,

I have made a field in a table which is a drop-down box which uses a value list. The value list uses values from a field in a different table, specifically the ID number from the other table. However, although I want the drop-down box selection to be based on the ID, I want the text in the field to come from a second field in the other table (basically to show the name of the record being selected rather than the ID).

I built this drop-down box field a few months ago, and selected for the value list to use values from the ID field, but display values from the Name field, by ticking the two boxes "Also display values from second field" and "Show values only from second field" in the value list field screen. So far so good, everything worked fine. However, recently the drop down box started showing the ID number instead of the name, despite nothing having changed except upgrading to a new version of Filemaker. Nothing seems to have changed in the configuration, but whenever I touch that drop down box in a record, it changes the value displayed in the field from the name to the number, even though it is specifically set up to only show the name.

What could have happened? The update I made was to Filemaker version 10.0v3.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I find the forum difficult to follow and even more difficult to search in...

Thanks,

Lars

• 1. Re: Value list from multiple fields problem
          mrvodka

Unless there was either a second field that was hidden behind it ( work around ), or you changed it from a popup to a drop down, I doubt that this worked for you earlier. When using show the second field option, it will show it when selecting from the drop down, but after selected, it will only display the first field value ( your ID ).

• 2. Re: Value list from multiple fields problem
            raybaudi
               Whasn't that field formatted as a pop-up menu ?
            • 3. Re: Value list from multiple fields problem
              LarsBC

"Unless there was either a second field that was hidden behind it ( work around ), or you changed it from a popup to a drop down, I doubt that this worked for you earlier. When using show the second field option, it will show it when selecting from the drop down, but after selected, it will only display the first field value ( your ID )."

The weird thing is that I had the problem of it only showing the ID at first, but then at some point I got it to work so that it kept the name in the field after selection too. However, now it does neither - it shows only the ID when selecting from the drop down box too, which makes it unusable. If the concept of basing a drop down box on multiple fields no longer works, I'll have to go back to basing it only on the name, which is bad (it was explained to me) because that means I can't change anything in the name field in the other table without breaking all the references.

• 4. Re: Value list from multiple fields problem
                senriz_1

Here's a work around I use that a developer helped me with:

Create a calculation field called cCustomerName.  ex:  CustomerRecords::Name  The Calculation result is Text and Unstored.  Next create a Value List.  Select the Use values from first field and select the name.  Now assign your cCustomerName field as a drop down to the new Value List.  You should just see the name and no ID.

If your Name involves a FirstName and LastName then your calculation would be:  CustomerRecords::FirstName & " " & CustomerRecords::LastName.  Then your value list would be:  Use values from first field:  FirstName  Also displays values from second field:  LastName.  Assign this Value List to the calculation field.

• 5. Re: Value list from multiple fields problem
                  philmodjunk

Point of clarification, You can use a calculation field as the source field (Specified in Manage | Value lists) for the value list, but you cannot use it for data entry by formatting it to have a value list (Field/Control | Setup...).

If this is a text field, with an auto-entered calculation, it'd work, but don't see why you would.

• 6. Re: Value list from multiple fields problem
                    senriz_1
                       From the first post it seems to be more of a display field.  Two other alternatives that may be better choices would be to use the Insert | Merge Field and select Table::Namefield.  Putting this next to the drop-down ID field with automatically display the name after selecting the ID.  Or simply put the Name field next to the ID field, and then in Field Control | Behaviors unchecking the Allow field to be entered in Browse Mode and Find Mode will also make this an automatically filled in display field after selecting the ID.