3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2014 7:34 AM by philmodjunk

Value list in portal only kinda works

SimonSherwood_1

Title

Value list in portal only kinda works

Hi All

I'm adding an Invoice/billing part onto my database.  It has a separate Invoice table related to an Invoice Transaction table which is related to a Transactions table.  I have a portal set up in the Invoice table which creates records in the Invoice Transactions table, the portal is based upon Invoice Transactions.

The first field in the portal is a Date field which displays a value list of related records, when I select the correct date it automatically populates the rest of the field in the portal.  The problem is to get the value list to show I need to click on the date field add a space then click off and the click back on.  Why is this?  What is the work around, does it have something to do with creating a new portal row or committing the field.

Simon.

• 1. Re: Value list in portal only kinda works
          philmodjunk

It would appear that a) this date field is not a field of type date or that space would generate an error. and b) you have a conditional value list with the "include only related values" option selected in manage | value lists.

If so, the fact that no new record exists until you enter data into one field and exit the field is indeed why you have an issue. You may be able to solve this by specifying the layout's table occurrence as the "starting from" table instead of the portals. Another option might be to remove the "allow creation of records..." option in the relationship an add a button to the layout for creating a new portal record. With this second option, you click the button and then, when you click or tab into the date field in the new record's row in the portal, you should have all in place for your current value list to work.

• 2. Re: Value list in portal only kinda works
            SimonSherwood_1

Than you.  The Include only related values option is specified.  So I will try one of your options.

Is it possible to sort the Value List in reverse order, it's simply a list of dates from a related table but it goes oldest to newest down the page, I'd like to reverse the order so the newest are at the top.

Simon.

• 3. Re: Value list in portal only kinda works
              philmodjunk

All "use values from a field" value lists sort in ascending order based on the value of one of the two fields specified in your value list. To present values in a different order is sometimes possible if you do not need both first and second fields to store visible data. Otherwise, you'd need to use something other than a value list to present the user with a list of choices. A portal listing the values where clicking portal rows selects a value and enters it into your field is a commonly used option for that as you can sort your portal in many ways not possible with a value list.