1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 2:22 PM by philmodjunk

Value List Multiple Selection

JohnTennock

Title

Value List Multiple Selection

I would appreciate some guidance about how to allow multiple selections from pop-up menu or drop-down list connected to a value list. I have this set up as a conditional value list to allow cub-categories within categories. The problem is that some entries in the database belong in multiple categories.

I understand that I can do this by choosing check-box set but because the value list contains about 40 options this is unacceptable because it uses too much 'real estate' on the view. If I could figure out how to do it, an acceptable solution would be for the pop-up menu or drop-down list to stay visible while multiple selections were made. Once closed the remaining field would show a list including only those items selected. Of the 40-odd options only between 1 and 4 would noremally be chosen.

Apart from the multi selection requirement the standard conditional value list functionality is perfect for my needs.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Value List Multiple Selection
          philmodjunk

If you hold down the shift or control keys, you can select multiple values from a drop down list.

The problem is that some entries in the database belong in multiple categories.

It's possible to set up a conditional value list where a record in the value table is a member of multiple categories. A check box formatted field in the value table can easily be used to assign a given value to multiple categories.

I understand that I can do this by choosing check-box set but because the value list contains about 40 options this is unacceptable because it uses too much 'real estate' on the view.

It's possible to use a portal with a scroll bar for selecting multiple values. Scripting is required and conditional formatting is typically used to show which values have been selected, but it is also possible to format a calculation field to have a check box format that can also show whether or not a given value is selected. Thus, you can get what looks and functions as a check box group with a scroll bar if you choose to make the effort.