7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 1:18 PM by philmodjunk

Value List not showing in new portal record

rickC.

Title

Value List not showing in new portal record

I have a customer database, with a "customer" table, "orders" table, and "order_type" table.

In my layout, I see the customer info, and a list of the customer's orders. Each order has a order_type, in a drop-down list, that I get from a Value List.

Existing orders show the drop-down list fine (and I can change the value), but new orders don't show the drop-down list at all - it is blank (though it does show the arrow to show and hide the list).

To sum: data for the order type comes from "order_types::order_name", Values from "order_type_lookup" (the Value List)

Any other info I could provide? Thanks for any insight into this..

- rick

• 1. Re: Value List not showing in new portal record
          philmodjunk

Exactly which options did you select for your value list?

Are you selecting a value for a field in Orders with the values drawn from order_type?

• 2. Re: Value List not showing in new portal record
            rickC.

Phil asked:

> Exactly which options did you select for your value list? Are you selecting a value for a field in Orders with the values drawn from order_type?

For the value list, I selected "use values from field"; in specify field, "use values from first field: order_type", and "also display values from second field: order_name"; checked are "include all values" and "show values only from second field"

Both these come from the table "order_types". Is that what you meant?

• 3. Re: Value List not showing in new portal record
              philmodjunk

Yeah that's the question I needed answered.  That rules out the most obvious possible issue: the Show related values option with a relationship not defined until you commit the record.

What field have you formatted with this value list? Orders::OrderType or OrderType::OrderType?

If it's the second and this is not a mistake, then a new entry in the OrderType table won't update the value list until it is committed. Are both fields: Orders::OrderType and Order_Type::OrderType defined as the same data type? (Both number or both text?).

• 4. Re: Value List not showing in new portal record
                rickC.

Phil asked:

> What field have you formatted with this value list? Orders::OrderType or OrderType::OrderType? If it's the second and this is not a mistake ...

Aha! That was the problem! I have now changed the field to display data from "orders::order_type". I can now edit and add to this field, even with a new record.

But I have a new problem: the field shows the names (order_types::order_name) when the list is "dropped down", but when it is not dropped, it shows the numbers (order_types::order_type). I am not doing the value list correctly? I would like the numeric order_types to be completely hidden from the user..

Thanks again, good sleuthing!

• 5. Re: Value List not showing in new portal record
                  philmodjunk

When you select from a drop down list of a 2 column value list, you are entering the data from column 1, not column 2. To see the data from column 2, add that field from the related table or change your formatting from drop down list to pop up menu.

One trick you can do with a drop down list is to make the drop down field the exact width of the arrow so that the arrow is all that is visible. Then you place the related field for column 2 next to it so that it appears to be a single field. You click on the arrow, select the value and when you release the drop down, you'll see the related "column 2" value in the field next to it.

• 6. Re: Value List not showing in new portal record
                    rickC.

Hey, thanks Phil. Both those answers work: either using a pop up instead of a drop down, or narrow drop down with the related field next to it. (I think I will go with the second "trick")

It's still unclear why it works with the pop up, but not the drop down. When I add the column 2 field to the drop down list, I am unable to see those values in a new record, which is no good to me.

It seems rather arbitrary that it works in one, and not the other, and the behaviours are different in the two control styles, but hey, you have shown me a method that works, and that's the most important part.

Thanks again. - rick

• 7. Re: Value List not showing in new portal record
                      philmodjunk

All I can say is that this is a difference in behavior ths software engineers at FileMaker Inc. specifically built into the system. For why, you'd have to ask them and then persuade them to answer.

Having worked with other software, I'm very aware that other systems provide much more flexibility and power in what you can do with a drop down value list. Even having two columns (not just one) is a major improvement over the much older 5.5 version that I used to use but it's a far cry from what is possible with other software.