AnsweredAssumed Answered

Value List not updating when coming from fields

Question asked by BFCSteve on Dec 19, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 1, 2012 by BFCSteve

Title

Value List not updating when coming from fields

I am using FM Pro 10.0v3 and have encountered something I don't understand.  My instinct is to call this a bug, but perhaps it's just another example of incomplete documentation steering me wrong?

In File One I have two fields.  Field A specifies a category and Field B dynamically shows a popip with options relevant to the chosen category.  File Two has a table which stores a copy of Field A (Global) and another table which contains Field C to match against the value in Field A and Field D to store the dynamic values to display in Field B.  In File One I have a value list setup which setsup the relationships necessary to make this happen.

In File Two I have the following values in Field C and Field D:

Apple -> Red

Apple -> Delicious

Apple -> Fruit

Brocoli -> Green

Brocoli -> Nasty

Brocoli -> Vegetable

When I set Field A to "Apple" the values in Field B should be "Red, Delicious, Fruit".  If I set Field A to "Brocoli" I should see "Green, Nasty, Vegetable" in Field B.

Instead, what happens is the values for Field B remain the same no matter what I put into Field A *until* I add or delete a record in the table in File Two which contains Fields C and D.  Meaning, if I set A to "Brocoli" the values in Field B don't change from whatever was already there.  However, if I add a record to File Two's table with Fields C and D the values in Field B instantly change and correctly show the values for Brocoli.

What's going on here?

Steve

Outcomes