3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 10:23 AM by etripoli

Value List or Calculation

krosswood

Title

Value List or Calculation

I am struggling with using value lists.  I have some cascading fields that I want to restrict the value list in the next field based on the value in field number 1.  For example- Field #1- is Sport.  I have a value list that contains:  Football, Basketball, Baseball and etc.

I would like Field #2 to change based on that value selected in Field #1- ie if Football is selected then the Value List would be NCAA, NFL, CFL.

I Then have other fields that would cascade down.

I am not sure whether I should be trying this with value lists or calculations or what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Krosswood

• 1. Re: Value List or Calculation
          etripoli
             You'll need a table, that has records containing the sport & organization.  Relate it back to your current table by [Field 1 = Sport].  Then, base the second value list on this table, using the organization as the primary field, and basing it on related records by Field 1.
          • 2. Re: Value List or Calculation
            krosswood

I have created a new table that now has a record for each sport and the next level as follows:

Sport                      Organization

Football                      NCAA

Football                      NFL

is that what you meant?

If so I have then created the relationship between Field 1 and Sport so that they are equal.  But how do I make Field 1 a drop down of Sport and then how do I do the organization to be specific to the sport in Field 2?

• 3. Re: Value List or Calculation
              etripoli

When defining both value lists, use the 'Use values from field:' option.  For the first value list, 'Use values from first field [New Table:Sport]', 'Include all values'.

For the second value list, 'Use values from first field [New Table: Organization]', 'Include only related values starting from: [First Table]'

Make sure your relationship between [First Table] and [New Table] is by the Sport fields.