1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2013 3:07 PM by schamblee

Value list scrolls only through 99?

BarbaraCoultry

Title

Value list scrolls only through 99?

I have two different drop-down lists derived from tables, both containing well over 100 records. This is done merely to facilitate data entry with auto-complete, and both lists function admirably in this respect, but it's sometimes necessary to scroll through a list to find a specific item, and that's where I see a limit, the scrollbar hitting the bottom at the 99th item and then a barely visible elipsis at bottom left of the box, which must be clicked to see the rest of the items.

Is this a built-in limitation, or is there a way to get the scrollbar to go to the true bottom of the list?

• 1. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
          JimMac

Your platform is Window?

I find portals to be much more User Friendly or use Find , when lists get very long. My typical drop down < 10, Portal lists <30,  do a find for 30+.  

Jim...

• 2. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
            JimMac

One last thought....

Did you know a USER can enter more than one item from a Drop Down List?

Jim...

• 3. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
              BarbaraCoultry

Yes, I use Windows 7. But in this case, a portal wouldn't serve the purpose.

I'm not sure what you mean by adding more than one item from a drop-down list. In my setup, you get to choose just one item.

The original question, however, stands: Is there a default initial limit of 99 items in the list as far as scrolling is concerned? Beneath the 99th item is the elipsis I mentioned, and if it's clicked, then I'm able to scroll from the beginning to the end of the list. I'd like that to be the default, not a mere 99 items. I say "a mere 99" because I'm running a business with over 300 products I'm selling, and the list is pulled from the Products table.

• 4. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                JimMac

MacOS will scroll the list, thats why I guessed Windows.

So I was trying to help.angel

Try holding down the ALT key[I think that is the key in Windows] when Selecting from the Drop Down... you will see you can then Select an additonal field from the List.  Read FM help in Drop Down List for exact method for Windows.

Jim...

• 5. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                  BarbaraCoultry

I searched Help, the manual, the "Missing Manual" book I own, and also online (besides in this forum), and there isn't a single mention of the issue. Just now, I tried using Page Down, but it also hits the 99-item limit. There's no shortcut key listed for it anywhere, leaving the choice of clicking on that tiny elipsis down at the bottom.

Darn. It appears it may be yet another of those Windows annoyances.

Thank you for trying to help.smiley

Barbara

• 6. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                    BarbaraCoultry

It occurs to me that, if this is a Windows problem as opposed to a FileMaker problem, then I'd hit the same wall of 99 when scrolling through a list of records, but I don't. I can go from record #1 all the way through to the last record, no matter if it's #50, #500, or #5000. It's got to be some sort of limit created by FileMaker, and if the limit is there, it's either arbitrary and can be altered, or it's something programmed in to deal with a Windows peculiarity.

Barbara

• 7. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                      JimMac

This a "learned" experience by most developers.  Scrolling through a large list is cumbersome to the USER.  They do it, but it takes a long time.  So I give them the option of List search, using a Layout in List mode or , at their option, a Find search that is in effect... a type ahead.

I watched them use the DB and all of them now use the Find.  Quick and easy to find by typing just part of the search word.

An example was picking a FONT.  Just a few years back, up pops your list like you are asking about.  Now all have migrated to the INSPECTOR, method which is what I am suggesting. 

I looked up how to select multi-items from a drop-down list.  Get list to display,  hold down shift key and select another item, then hit Enter key.  The field will contain ALL selected values.surprise.  This is because it is a logical AND control.  To assure a single pick, use Pop-up Menu which is logical OR.

Jim...

PS: I have seen others in this forum with your "limit" issue and recalled it was a WINDOWS problem, not FMP.

• 8. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                        BarbaraCoultry

Wouldn't your Find method negate the ability to use my simple invoice layout, forcing me to spend more time on data entry? At this point and because of those little hidden lists for products, customers, and then the calendar, I can whip right through even a long invoice.

The 99-line list limitation is really odd. I'll have to check with a programmer friend to see if he knows what it is, why it is, and if I can get Windows to please stop it.

Barbara

• 9. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                          BarbaraCoultry

I asked a programmer (works in C) about the strange scrollbar behavior, and he told me it's a limitation placed inside the software since no such thing exists in Windows itself. Doing internet search, I found another database program that does the same thing and in which users discovered how to fix in the program's section of the registry.

I'm thinking this may be a holdover from FileMaker's early days when computers were slow and had limited memory. Since the majority of people use lists differently, probably populating them with just a few choices rather than using a field in a table, they aren't likely to see the limit.

Just thought you'd be interested in knowing what the final analysis was.

Barbara

• 10. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                            JimMac

Post your "work around" for the forum.  There has been several who encounter the same problem.yes

On your point of simple versus FIND....

I would FIND the Customer, drop down the calender and Portal Select the Item List. wink

Jim...

• 11. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                              JimMac

For a bit of triva as to possible reasons the MacOS does NOT encounter the LIst limit...

Apple created the Pop-up Menu control and the Drop_Down List in early 80's.

MicroSoft copied these Controls, but tried to make subtle differences to avoid their Apple/Microsoft agreement not to copy.

Apple sued Microsoft and prevented the release of Windows 2.

Apple setttled with MicroSoft [MS lost] and by that time it was Windows 3.surprise

JIm...

PS: A good discussion is always healty in a forum

• 12. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                                BarbaraCoultry

Post your "work around" for the forum.  There has been several who encounter the same problem.

I don't have a work-around. What I saw for the other database software was specific to that software and its registry lines.

I would FIND the Customer, drop down the calender and Portal Select the Item List. 

Take my word for it that your method would slow down the work incredibly. I put in the date, start typing the Customer name, and if the rest isn't filled in automatically, I know it's a new customer, who I add to Customer Data via a portal. I fill in the invoice total and PayPal expense manually because there can be variations that cause "gotchas." After that, adding the products purchased is a breeze because the lines fill in automatically. No picking from a list required, which actually takes longer than typing a couple letters. Now and then, I need to scroll through the product list, and that's when I end up annoyed with the 99-item limit.

Fact: I'm a brand-new FM user, and the only reason I'm getting where I want to go with a certain amount of ease is that, long ago and far away, I was a dBASE programmer, so I've a good handle on what's happening beneath the hood.

If dropdown lists are limited in Windows, then we wouldn't be able to get dropdowns that give a complete listing of fonts when we have 100 or more of them, but those dropdowns are complete.

Interesting information about the Apple/Microsoft battle.enlightened

Barbara

• 13. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                                  schamblee

Widown 7 does not have this limit.  I have tested 100, 150, 1000, record and this has nothing to do with the operating system.  I'm using FMPA 12.  My drop down list worked and listed all items. 

• 14. Re: Value list scrolls only through 99?
                                    schamblee

Microsoft didn't lose the lawsuit and the lawsuit was mainly about GUI.   Apple won some point but like any large suit, they agreed to settle 3 years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corporation

1 2 Previous Next