1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 4:08 PM by philmodjunk

Value List Sorting

precociousninja

Title

Value List Sorting

I have set up a value list based on two fields, the first one being date which is how I want to sort the list, but when I choose to sort the value list based on the first field, it's puts the dates in chronological order from oldest to newest, like this

1/2/2010

2/3/2010

3/4/2010

-

-

-

12/13/2010

But I want it to order in the reverse order, like this:

12/13/2010

11/12/2010

-

-

-
      1/2/2010

2/3/2010

3/4/2010

It seems like there should be an easy fix for this, but I don't think I have learned to conceptualize my problems on the field of filemaker yet.  I still need a good deal of practice I think.  Phil, are you going to make me feel silly again, by dropping massive knowledge on another one of my silly posts?...or will another contributor get the kudos? The match is afoot. 

Thanks in advance,

pn

• 1. Re: Value List Sorting
          philmodjunk

When you draw your values from a table, Filemaker insists on sorting the values in ascending order as you've found. There are no built in features that will allow you to specify a different order.

Comment has posted a description of a work around for relatively modest (up to a hundred?) values.

You might also display your values in a portal where clicking a portal row selects the date. THen you can sort your values however you need, but you lose screen real estate as you no longer have a drop down or pop up to use in selecting the value.