3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 9:27 AM by TSGal

Value list with line breaks

thelostnet

Title

Value list with line breaks

Hi!

I couldn't find this answered anywhere, though it seems simple enough...  I'm trying to create a dynamic value list using a scripted xml import from a web url.  I got that working easily enough, but the value list records contain line breaks.  It imports fine, but the interface using the value list treats each line break as a "separate" record and won't populate the field with the entire value (including line breaks).

Any thoughts?

thanks,

-james

(thelostnet.net)

• 1. Re: Value list with line breaks
          TSGal

thelostnet:

Thank you for your post.

Each value in a value list is separated by a carriage return.  Therefore, if you have one value that includes a carriage return, you may want to consider changing that return value to a different character.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Value list with line breaks
            thelostnet

Ok, so I can change all the carriage returns in the xml to some other character like a double semi-colon ( ;; ) or vertical line feed or something. But, how would I get the filemaker form to change them back to carriage returns?

Maybe there's a better approach than this... I have a free-form text entry box with people typing the same things in over and over. 40-50 common variations among 10k records. There's very little consistency in the type of data entered. Sometimes it's a single line and sometimes it's an address. Sometimes it's just a phone number. Crazy, but they like it that way. Breaking it out into separate fields would not be ok (tried that approach already).

Our database lives in a MySQL and i've discovered some painful limitations imposed by Filemaker.

• 3. Re: Value list with line breaks
              TSGal

thelostnet:

Although FileMaker cannot change characters to carriage returns, here is something which may help....

Carriage returns inside of text fields are stored as ASCII-11 (as opposed to ASCII-13).  That is, if you are in a text field and press return to go to a second line, it is stored internally as ASCII-11.  When exporting to a tab-separated text file, a tab character separates fields while a carriage return separates records.  Therefore, the ASCII-11 is saved in the field.  Interestingly, opening the tab-separated text file in Microsoft Word and saving it as text, converts the ASCII-11 characters to ASCII-13.

I know this isn't the ideal solution, but it may give you some other ideas.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.