4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 1:46 PM by philmodjunk

Value Lists

David40

Title

Value Lists

I am using FMP-12 (12.0v5).  My database was upgraded from FMP-9.  I am having trouble with a Value List.  

I have several fields that use the same Value List.  Originally it was set up as a drop-down list that allowed addition of new items.  If I added a new value to the list, it was seen by all the fields.  Since moving to FMP-12, this has changed.  When I click on the field, the value list appears, but I cannot modify the list.  If I change the field to a Pop-Up list, then I can add new values, but they are not seen by the other fields.  I have tried to follow the instructions i the File Maker Pro 12 Missing Manual book, but with no success.  

What am I doing wrong?  Thank you in advance.

Dave

• 1. Re: Value Lists
          philmodjunk

The behavior of field based value lists has been unchanged since much earlier than FileMaker 9. Simply converting the file to .FMP12 format should not change the behavior of the value list.

It sounds like you have a custom values value list instead of one set up to use values from a field. If the value list used values from the same field you have formatted as a value list, simply entering a new value in the field will cause it to appear in the value list, there's no need for selecting the "allow editing of value list" option that applies to custom value lists.

If I change the field to a Pop-Up list, then I can add new values, but they are not seen by the other fields.

Please note that this is exactly the results I would expect from a custom values value list.

• 2. Re: Value Lists
            David40

Thank you for your prompt response.  Unfortunately, none of the suggestions solved the problem.

The value list was never a custom list and has always allowed for the addition of new items.  It worked perfectly in FMP-9.  My only thought  is that something got "corrupted" when I upgraded to FMP-12.  Luckily, I saved the FMP-9 database.

Thank you again for your assistance.

• 3. Re: Value Lists
              RickWhitelaw

If the value list was not comprised of custom values I fail to see how you could make the list editable.

• 4. Re: Value Lists
                philmodjunk

Especially with Pop up menu formatting.