1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 12:04 PM by davidrcrowe

Value Lists

KerryRusso

Title

Value Lists & FileMaker PHP API

Hi, 

I'm very new to Filemaker Pro 11.

I'm using FM in conjunction with the PHP API and have got the hang of it for the most part. One nagging issue is a value list that uses values from a specified field. One curious thing is that the specified field has duplicate values but loses these duplicates when being viewed in browse mode (meaning that I am viewing a search form that uses the values list as a the values for drop-down/select box). Is that default behavior?

The main reason I need help is that I am trying to get the values list through code:

$vlRegions = $layout->getValueListTwoFields('CatalogAppellation');

However, it's not returning any values. I am doing the same thing for two other values lists that have custom values and do not depend on a table for its values and they work fine. Any thoughts?

NOTE: I did not design or populate this database. I'm just creating an interface for it.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Value Lists & FileMaker PHP API
          davidrcrowe

One stumbling block with value lists is that the value list MUST be on the layout that you use to call this function.

So if you have field named X on layout named Y, and you are querying for value list Z, the field named X (on layout Y) MUST be formatted with value list Z. If field X is just formatted as an edit box, attempts to access the value list from PHP will fail, field X must be formatted as, e.g., a pull-down menu with this value list for the PHP API to include that value list for the layout.