1 Reply Latest reply on May 7, 2010 11:31 AM by philmodjunk

Value Lists and Dropdowns For Calculations

we3dumys

Title

Value Lists and Dropdowns For Calculations

Filemaker 10 Pro, OSX

Total Newbie

I have been given the task of creating a pricing calculator for the services my company offers. I have some succes in getting things to work right, but not totally, so I am hoping someone can point out exactly what I am messing up.

So I started the databases by creating separate tables for each different types of services, i.e, FinishingOptions, DataServices. I am only going to use FinishingOptions as an example, because it is pretty typical...

The FinishingOptions table has 2 fields- FinishingType and PerPiecePrice.

What I am trying to do is get the FinishingOptions table to work as a value list, so when the user is doing a price calculation, they can just choose FinishType1, FinishType2, FinishType3 etc from a dropdown, but I can calculate a total based on the PerPiecePrice as defined by the finishing type.

I just don't want the end user to be able see what the price actually is in the dropdown, just FinishingType. Right now, I can get this to sort of work- I get  a dropdown that shows the price, and the FinishingType, and calculates correctly, but it's not the exact behavior I am looking for.

Didn't see anything else on the Forum that dealt with this exactly, or if there was I didn't see it.

• 1. Re: Value Lists and Dropdowns For Calculations
          philmodjunk

You can set a field to auto-enter a "looked up" value from your price table. This field need not be visible on the current layout, so you can hide it from the user but still use it in calculations.

You link your two tables via the Finishing type fields that are defined in each table. You define a "piece price" number field in your line items table and set it's auto-enter option to copy the PerPiece price from your FinishingOptions table.

On a design note, it very likely that you could combine all your types of service prices in one table. This may simplify the design of your Line Item table's record by quite a bit.

Typical table structure looks like this:

Invoice(or Job Estimates) -----<Line Items>-----Products/Services

You place a portal to Line Items on your Invoice layout and define a unit price field In Line Items to look up a price from the Products table.