3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 3:24 PM by philmodjunk

Value Lists and entering special characters

craigfabian

Title

Value Lists and entering special characters

Hi,
      I have a value list that will be displayed in a checkbox field.  The value list has data for measurements i.e.:
      6" ((ADA Standard)
      ≤7" (Non Standard)
      3' (ADA Standard)

When I display the checkbox field on a form the value list displays fine. However, when I try and perform a FIND  by selecting one of the items in the checkbox say 6" (ADA Standard) I get a message for No Matching Records. 
      What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
      Craig

• 1. Re: Value Lists and entering special characters
          philmodjunk

Are you doing this with a script or are you entering find mode, clicking a check box and then performing the find?

If you are using the script, please post the script you are using:

1. You can upload a screen shot of the script by clicking the edit link to your original message and uploading it there
          2. You can upload a screen shot of the script to a file share site and post the download link to a new response you post here.
          3. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF.
          4. If You have FileMaker advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          • 2. Re: Value Lists and entering special characters
            craigfabian

Phil,

No script,  I just entered the values in the value list manually.  I then created a text field named "Standards" and set it as a checkbox field using the value list as the data.

On the form it shows great in the checkboxes

I click one of the checkboxes with a value of say 6" (ADA Standard) and all is good and records display correctly.

I go into find mode and select the box click Preform Find, and get the error message "No matching records"

Upon further testing values like 6", 7', work great in finds values that have text after the 6" like 6" (ADA Standards) give the error message.

I'm assuming the "  or the ≤ ≥ characters are what is causing the problem.  I thought there was a way to enter a for lack of a better term "literal modifier character" that caused the next character or symbol to just be treated as text not as a mathmatical symbol of FIND operater.

• 3. Re: Value Lists and entering special characters
              philmodjunk

Yes, Filemaker is interpreting the inequality characters as operators. If you were to enclose that text in quotes it would not be so interpreted. You could for example enter "≤7" (quotes included) into a copy of this field formatted as an edit box and it would find your records.