1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 3:16 PM by philmodjunk

Value Lists and Lookup on Same Layout: How to Get to Work

steve4640_1

Title

Value Lists and Lookup on Same Layout: How to Get to Work

Hi Folks:

Here is a problem I can't seem to resolve. On FM 10, I have related 2 tables. Table 1 has 3 fields: Yes/No, Site Name and State. Table 2 has 4 fields: Yes/No, Site Name, State and Rating. I have created a Conditional Value List in Table 2 to filter Site Name based on Yes/No and it works great. However, once the Site Name is filled in Table 2, I would also like Table to to Autofill State. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get this to work. If I deactivate the Conditional Value List and just include the Site Name -> State Autofill, that part works great. I just can't seem to get the Conditional Value List AND the Autofill to work together on the same layout. I think it has to do with the way the relationships are set up, but I'm drawing a blank. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks!

Steve 

• 1. Re: Value Lists and Lookup on Same Layout: How to Get to Work
          philmodjunk

First a little vocabulary clarification so that we can be sure we're on the same page. "AutoFill" does not exist in filemaker. You can define a lookup to physically copy data from one related table to another, you can define calculation fields and auto-enter by calculation fields that combine and copy data from a related table or tables. You can also simply place the field from the related table on your layout--I think this is what you should be doing here.

What is the relationship linking your two tables? Is it:

Table 1::SiteName = Table 2::SiteName ?

If so, just place the State field from table 1 on your layout that displays records from Table 2. If the two SiteName fields match, you'll see the corresponding state name from Table 1 on your layout.