1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 10:31 AM by philmodjunk

Value Lists and Tabs and Is Filemaker all it say's

StephenJohnson

Title

Value Lists and Tabs and Is Filemaker all it say's

Hi

I am an expereinced MS Access programmer but I am trying out Filemaker. I am having trouble with Value Lists

Normaly I could Have a SQL query and isolate all the Records in my Databse that Dont have a First Name and Call this Query Company Names

and use this Query for the Value of the Drop dfown list so when I adda name I can Select from the Companys I already have entered and then Select if Emplyee etc.

Also I can chose to have a tab Visable if the First Name Field is Null so All the user sees is the relevant Data for the record. This is proving difficult as it appears the only way on isolating fields is with Conditional formating with Filemaker, any Clues and assistance would be greatfull. 

I want to try to get to grips as the amount of data and plans avaible I may have to go to something a little like oricle

• 1. Re: Value Lists and Tabs and Is Filemaker all it say's
          philmodjunk

In many areas, FileMaker does things in very different fashion than Access. Reprogramming your thought processes when you switch from one system to the other can thus be a real challenge. Each system has it's own strengths and weaknesses so what is straight forward and simple in one system can be complex to replicate in the other and there are cases where exactly the same interface design is not possible in both systems. In those cases, you need to consider alternatives that better exploit the capabilities of the specific system you are using.

In FileMaker "queries" and "RecordSets" become "Finds" and "foundsets". They aren't identical, but have many similarities.

To pull up a found set of just company names, you can enter find mode, specify the lone = operator in the first name field and perform the find to pull up a found set of just the company name records. This is roughly the same as a Select * query with the appropriate "where" clause to limit the found set to records with empty first name fields. This type of find can be done with a single button click if you script it or you can perform the find manually.

There are also ways to set up conditional value lists of just the company names (or better, their ID numbers) or to use a portal that filters out all related records where the first name field is empty.  The best option depends on what you plan to do with this set of company records.

You can't set visibility properties on layout objects in FileMaker, you can simulate the effect with near duplicate layouts or by some layout tricks that enclose the objects inside panels of an invisible tab control, but you'd first need to decide if you want that feature bad enough to invest the effort needed to produce that effect.