AnsweredAssumed Answered

Value lists don't update depending on how field is selected

Question asked by LD on Oct 29, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Value lists don't update depending on how field is selected

I have a script that I run OnObjectEnter for a bunch of fields. It sets a global field to a predetermined ID based on the field you are entering. This ID is used in a relationship to determine what values from a related table should be shown in a value list in the field you just entered. So for example:

Enter the zip code field -> script triggers, sets global ID field to "zip code" -> the zip code field's value list shows the appropriate zip codes based on this relationship.

This works fine when I am tabbing between fields, as soon as I tab to a field the global ID updates and the correct values are shown. However, if instead of going straight from one field to another I deselect all fields and then select another field, the script triggers but not before the value list is displayed. This means that if I click in to the zip code field, deselect all fields, then click in to the city field, it shows a list of zip codes. If, however, I tab from the zip code field to the city field, it correctly shows a list of cities.

I apologize if my question is confusing. I'm not sure if the problem is in how OnObjectEnter is triggered, or in how value lists are indexed. I have a workaround with a script step that takes the focus to a different field, and then back to the one you just entered, which works but seems sloppy. Thank you for any and all help!

Outcomes