1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 3:43 PM by JoCrescent

value lists not displaying in portals

JoCrescent

Title

value lists not displaying in portals

I'm a brand new FM user, on Mac OS X, working on one file with 5 tables

2 tables (Equip Menu & Equip Order) are linked. These tables have the same 2 fields: EquipType & EquipItem, and were used to create a conditional value list of Equipment Items; I also have a value list of Equipment Types.

1 table (Consulting Records) is a join table between Assignments table & Expert_Sources table -- this join table is also related to both the Equip Menu & the Equip Order tables

I've added 2 portals to both the Assignment layout & the Expert layout. The portals on both of the layouts are the same because I want to track information from the same tables with both of these layouts:

1.           A portal to list/enter the Equip Types as listed in the EquipType Value list
      3.           A portal to list/enter the Equip Items as listed in the EquipItem Value list, conditioned upon the Equip Type chosen

Both of these portals are "dead." The pop-up lists don't appear & I get no response of any kind when I click on them.

Portals seemed to be a good solution because what I want is to be able to see/choose ALL the Equip Types an Expert knows as well as the various Equip Items she's expert in for each Equip Type. For the Assignments, I want to be able to see/choose all the different Equip Types involved in the assignment, as well as the different Equip Items for each Equip Type.

I also attempted to set up an Expert portal on the Assignment layout & that seems to be working, but the Assignment portal on the Expert layout is just as unresponsive as the Equipment portals.

Obviously, I am not understanding what I am doing, but it seems that such portals should be possible? This is my 3rd try at making all this data interconnect and I am now at my wit's end. Any advise would be appreciated. I suspect that there is something  askew in my relationships, but am too much of a novice to figure it out. Thanks so much.

I tried to upload a jpeg of the relationship chart, but was unable to.

• 1. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
          philmodjunk

There seems to be a conceptual problem here:

1.                A portal to list/enter the Equip Types as listed in the EquipType Value list
          3.                A portal to list/enter the Equip Items as listed in the EquipItem Value list, conditioned upon the Equip Type chosen

Both of these portals are "dead." The pop-up lists don't appear & I get no response of any kind when I click on them.

You shouldn't need two portals for this, only one.

There are two basic approaches here and I don't know which will work for you:

1) you select the equipType once and then each item in the portal is selected from a value list of just that one type until/unless you select a different type.

2) You select an equipType in the portal row, then select an equipment item. Go to next row and repeat....

Please try again to upload your screen shot. Usually, this works quite well from the Upload an image controls below Post A Answer unless the programmers recently broke that tool on us.

Please also list each of the settings in Manage | Value lists that you specified for your conditional value list.

You may also find this list of links on conditional value lists helpful:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
            JoCrescent

Look! The relationship graph posted!

Thanks, Phil, for setting me straight on the need for only 1 portal (duh). #2 would work well for my purposes.

I had already read the posts, but I reviewed them again & still don't see what I am missing.

Do the relationships look like they are set up properly? I have a feeling I have not linked in the best way & maybe that is my problem.

Thanks so much for your help.

• 3. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
              philmodjunk

I also asked for what settings you selected in setting up the conditional value list. One detail wrong there and you don't get any values.

If you are attempting to show values from Equip_Menu in your value list, you need to change the relationship so that the only match fields are the two Equip_Type fields. If you need to look up values from this table by EquipItem, define a second table occurrence with the same data source table and use it for the lookups by item and keep the other relationship limited to just Equipment type.

Then you can list values from Equip_menu, Include only Related values, starting from consulting_records.

PS. it's not a good idea to match your consultants up by name. A serial Id value defined in Expert_Sources would be a much better relationship. Names are not unique, subject to change and vulnerable to both data entry errors and variations in spelling and format. (I answer to Phil and Phillip, for example.)

Even when you match by ID numbers, your value lists can function to enable users to select a person by name.

• 4. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                JoCrescent

Phil, here is the info I think you are asking for when you request "Please also list each of the settings in Manage | Value lists that you specified for your conditional value list."

I have 1 Value List Names

1. Equip_Type of Items sourced from "Equip_Menu::EquipType

2. Equip_Names of Items sourced from "Equip_Menu::EquipItem (includes only related values starting from Equip_Order)

I don't know if that's all the info you need; thanks for bearing with my ignorance

• 5. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                  JoCrescent

I mean two (2) value lists

• 6. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                    JoCrescent

I need to list Equip_Types and also any Equip_Items that fall under that Equip_Type. Some Equip-Types will not have Items (for instance, somebody might be an expert in Electronics, a Type which doesn't have any Items (yet)

When I define a second table occurrence with the same data source table and use it for the lookups by item and keep the other relationship limited to just Equipment type, will I need to change my value lists to refer to the 2d table occurance or is it truly just another occurance that acts just the same as the original table? I'm a little confused about that despite my readings

• 7. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                      JoCrescent

Okay, Phil. Here's what I did, trying to follow your instructions (in italic), but it still doesn't work, so I'm thinking I misunderstood. (& yes, I see what you mean about names & will change that as well).

If you are attempting to show values from Equip_Menu in your value list, you need to change the relationship so that the only match fields are the two Equip_Type fields.

— changed relationship between Consulting_Records & Equip_Menu to match only the Equip_Type fields

If you need to look up values from this table by EquipItem, define a second table occurrence with the same data source table and use it for the lookups by item and keep the other relationship limited to just Equipment type.

— defined 2 occurrence of Equip_Menu & created relationship between EquipItem & EquipItem in table Equip_Order; allowed creation of new items for both tables via relationship

Then you can list values from Equip_menu, Include only Related values, starting from consulting_records.

• 8. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                        RickWhitelaw

You have two tables with identical fields. The second one should likely be a Table Occurence of the first. I see that the relationships between the two are different to the other table, but this could be accomplished with a TO rather than a new table. Just a picky detail . . . 

• 9. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                          philmodjunk

What you describe seems to indicate that you have correctly understood my directions.

How doesn't it work?

Can you post a new screen shot of your relationships now that you've made these changes?

(And if you crop that screen shot before you upload it, it won't take up so much space for us to scroll through on the screen. You can either resize the manage database window before you do the screen capture or you can edit the image file just produced to crop it.)

• 10. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                            JoCrescent

Phil, here's the new relationship. The portal in the Assignment layout doesn't work in that it won't let me enter anything or display a pop-up menu for me to choose from. I will post a screen shot of the layout in edit mode for you to see

• 11. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                              JoCrescent

Here's a shot of the Assignment layout in edit mode ... 

• 12. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                                JoCrescent
                                /files/4f05814d84/Screen_Shot_2013-05-20_at_5.58.43_PM.png 857x705
                                • 13. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                                  philmodjunk

So you have portals to Equip_Menu and Consulting_Records placed on a layout based on Appraisal_Assignments?

I'm puzzled by your layout design. Trying to use this value list to enter data in the Equip_Menu portal makes no sense to me.

I would think that you are need to enter new data using this value list in the bottom portal--to Consulting_Records, not the top one.

• 14. Re: value lists not displaying in portals
                                    JoCrescent

well, maybe I am thinking about this whole thing wrongly.

Here's what I'm thinking -- we get in an assignment and we enter it into the Assignment form/table. As we're working on the assignment, we list the equipment types & the equipment items (if applicable) the assignment involves.

At that point, we want to find the experts who are associated with that kind of euipment. We also want to somehow connect those experts we contact to this particular assignment so that the next time we call them we can say, you gave me this information when I called you about so-n-so's equipment, what's going on with this same kind of equipment now?

We may also discover a new expert who we want to add to the expert database as well as connect to the particular assignment.

Really, the equipment lists are the key point of the whole database, because that is the constant that links the assignments & the experts, but in other situations I may need just to sort assignments by date or by other criteria besides equipment. Experts, not so much, although we may do a mailing now & then.

Given this, is what I've done so far not useful? I think I am ready to give up & call in an expert. I had the idea that FileMaker was easier to use than I am finding it to be.

1 2 3 Previous Next