AnsweredAssumed Answered

value lists not displaying in portals

Question asked by JoCrescent on May 9, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 by JoCrescent

Title

value lists not displaying in portals

I'm a brand new FM user, on Mac OS X, working on one file with 5 tables

2 tables (Equip Menu & Equip Order) are linked. These tables have the same 2 fields: EquipType & EquipItem, and were used to create a conditional value list of Equipment Items; I also have a value list of Equipment Types.

1 table (Consulting Records) is a join table between Assignments table & Expert_Sources table -- this join table is also related to both the Equip Menu & the Equip Order tables

I've added 2 portals to both the Assignment layout & the Expert layout. The portals on both of the layouts are the same because I want to track information from the same tables with both of these layouts:

1.           A portal to list/enter the Equip Types as listed in the EquipType Value list
  3.           A portal to list/enter the Equip Items as listed in the EquipItem Value list, conditioned upon the Equip Type chosen

Both of these portals are "dead." The pop-up lists don't appear & I get no response of any kind when I click on them.

Portals seemed to be a good solution because what I want is to be able to see/choose ALL the Equip Types an Expert knows as well as the various Equip Items she's expert in for each Equip Type. For the Assignments, I want to be able to see/choose all the different Equip Types involved in the assignment, as well as the different Equip Items for each Equip Type.

I also attempted to set up an Expert portal on the Assignment layout & that seems to be working, but the Assignment portal on the Expert layout is just as unresponsive as the Equipment portals.

Obviously, I am not understanding what I am doing, but it seems that such portals should be possible? This is my 3rd try at making all this data interconnect and I am now at my wit's end. Any advise would be appreciated. I suspect that there is something  askew in my relationships, but am too much of a novice to figure it out. Thanks so much.

I tried to upload a jpeg of the relationship chart, but was unable to.

Outcomes