7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 1:54 PM by philmodjunk

Value of a unstored field

rudiwer

Title

Value of a unstored field

Heyee,

Is it possible to 'get' the value of a filled in field but not commited (when the layout is in add of change mode)

I want to dispaly a message when leaving a field that may not be empty !

The system gives only a warning when the record will be commited but i want the message when leaving the field and jump tothe following field !

• 1. Re: Value of a unstored field
          schamblee

Use the Script Trigger OnObjectExit, then create a script with a custom dialog box that displays the desired message.

• 2. Re: Value of a unstored field
            philmodjunk

Or you can use OnObjectSave--only triggers when the value has been changed

or OnObjectValidate--if you want this to kick in before any data validation does.

• 3. Re: Value of a unstored field
              rudiwer

heyee thanks,

But isnt it so that i only can get the active value in the field after a commit ???

When i type for example 'test' in a field  'name' in add mode and i do not a commit

when i do a get(clients::name) the value will be empty ??

thats what i have or am i wrong ?? or do i something else wrong ???

best regards

• 4. Re: Value of a unstored field
                rudiwer

heyee again,

I have corrected the problem above but there still remains something strange

I trigger onobjectexit with :

if get(clients::name="")

display message......

goto previous field

endif

the goto previous field will never be executed also when i change this in goto fieldname

The script jump simply everytime to the next field after client name !

• 5. Re: Value of a unstored field
                  philmodjunk

get(clients::name) ???

Do you mean GetFIELD ( clients:name ) ?

If so, that's not how this function should be used. I suggest looking it up in FileMaker help. GetField ( clients::Name ) returns the value of the field name stored in clients::name, not the value of Clients::Name. If you store the value "contacts::Address" in the Clients::Name field, GetField ( clients::Name) will return the value of teh Contacts::Address field.

• 6. Re: Value of a unstored field
                    rudiwer

heyee,

Sorry for the moment i work with a dutch version of filemaker and the shit is that filemaker also translate all the functions in dutch !

So i mistranslated the commands i guess

I try to explain what i do and what i want :

I am on a field on a layout the fieldname is 'name' the file where the field in belongs is the file 'Clients'

I dont want that the field can be empty and i want to display a message when i exit the field not when i save the record

What i do is the following :

on the trigger onobjectexit (hopefully correct translation)

i place a script

if(Clients::name="")

Dispalymessage "not empty !" ...... (probably mistranslated but understandable ??? )

endif

this works but after pressing the ok button on the message screen the program jumps to the next field!

I place a goto previous field or i place a goto(clients::name)  (probably also mistranslated) after the display message

but he still jumps to the next field !

is this understandable ???

thanks in advance ??

Ands i buy me a english version of filemaker  !!! makes it a lot simpler 

• 7. Re: Value of a unstored field
                      philmodjunk

if(Clients::name="")

Dispalymessage "not empty !" ...... (probably mistranslated but understandable ??? )

Exit Script [ False ]

endif

will keep the cursor in the field. I suggest that you look up Script Triggers in FileMaker help. There's an entry there that documents whether or not Exit Script [False] will work or not with each given trigger.