4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2014 1:58 PM by AlishaDenicola

Valuelist in a Portal permissions problems

AlishaDenicola

Title

Valuelist in a Portal permissions problems

Hi forum folks. 

I'm building a database called Contacts. I'm not a professional, in fact this is about my third Filemaker project and by far the most complex. I don't have a background in scripting or programming. 

That being said, here's what's up. 

I have three portals on a layout called "Contact Details." The portals are "Project" "Vendor Type" and "Person Type". Each portal is accessed by an "Add [portal type]" button. Upon clicking the button, the user is moved to the portal row and a drop down list opens, where the person can then select a tag. 

Each value list is generated from the information entered into that field. 

Each portal's table is joined to the "contacts" table by a join field. 

The system works very well, except that we're now setting up accounts and the director wants a very specific set of permissions that I cannot make work. 

The accounts are: 

Admin (full access) 
           Participant (can edit contact details and tag projects, vendors, or person types, but CANNOT add new tags to the value lists)
           Editor (can edit contact details and tag, cannot add new tags, and cannot export information) 
           viewer (view only access) 

The problem I'm running into is that in security, if I change the permission on the field that generates the value list, for example "ProjectType" to view only, then the participants and editors cannot use the tags at all. But if I leave that field as modifiable, then participants and users can add new tags, and the director does not want that. 

Is there a way to set the permissions so that only one account can add new tags but the other accounts can select the existing tags? 

Thanks, 

Alisha

• 1. Re: Valuelist in a Portal permissions problems
          philmodjunk

Are these value lists set up with the "use values from a field" option?

If so...

Here is one possible option: Modify your layout that is to be used by Participants and Editors so that they cannot add a value to the field formatted with the value list of tags unless that value is already defined to be a member of that value list. You can change a drop down list to a different format such as a pop up menu or a selection portal. Users with full access can access a different layout for adding new tags to the table.

• 2. Re: Valuelist in a Portal permissions problems
            AlishaDenicola

That could work, definitely. 

I will try it out and get back to you shortly :) 

Secondary problem: I need to set up a uniqueness check so that one contact doesn't end up being tagged with the same project multiple times. But I need multiple contacts to be able to be tagged with the same project. 

So 

Joe
                 Project: Arusha 2007 

Bob
                 Project Arusha 2007

etc but not

Joe
                 Project Arusha 2007
                 Project Arusha 2007

The "Contacts" table and the "Project" table are joined by a join table, but i'm not sure what the calculation would be that would check for uniqueness within the "Project". Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Valuelist in a Portal permissions problems
              philmodjunk

This is a fairly common need. You don't need unique values in field 1 nor in field 2, it's the combination of values from both fields that need to be unique.

Set up a text field with an auto-enter calculation that combines them:

Field1 & " " & Field2

Then specify a unique values validation on this new text field.

PS. This can fail if there are any return characters in the text produced by this calculation.

• 4. Re: Valuelist in a Portal permissions problems
                AlishaDenicola

Perfect thanks!