1 Reply Latest reply on May 18, 2011 2:22 PM by philmodjunk

Values are not committed except by submit button

TonySchrick

Title

Values are not committed except by submit button

I have a IWP with a portal and tabs.  When I fill in the first field (value list from another table) it relates to the second field and makes another value list to select from, which in turn makes a 3rd value list.

The in my web browers (firefox 4.01 & Internet Explorer 8.06...) value lists are not popluated unless I press the submit button.  This is true for the second field as well.  I have added a "submit" script to effectively press the button on field exit.  This does not work either.

Submit Script:

Commit Records/Requests [No dialog]

Exit Script []

This layout works correctly without any scripts when I use it via the normal filemaker Pro 11 (advanced) interface.  The scripts do not break anything, so right now they are enabled.

The database is hosted on a FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced Server 11.0v3 Windows 7 server.  I am logging on with the same administrative account for both tests.  The scrips are set to run with full privilages.

I have simular issuses with a Portal in on the record below (doesn't allow editing, until submit is pressed.  Then doesn't show new entries until button is pressed.  It's proabably the same issue.

Thanks in adavaced,

Tony

• 1. Re: Values are not committed except by submit button
          philmodjunk

Script Triggers don't work in IWP except in very limited circumstances. Basically, the only way you can trigger a script is to click a button to run a script and then the script's actions (Such as go to field or go to layout) can trip script triggers.

That's why your script doesn't work in IWP.

The other issue that you are dealing with is one of the key limitations encountered when working with an interface based on a web browser. FileMaker sends a chunk of data across the network to your browser, then when you submit the record, any changes, new records, etc get sent back to the database. It's kind of like old fashioned radio communications where you send a person a message and he waits until you say "over", then he sends you a message and you wait until he says "over".

You just don't get that field edit by field edit reponsiveness that you expect with a FileMaker layout when you use FileMaker to access the file directly. That, in turn, requires a significant change in how you design your layout and scripts for web use as you just don't have as many options to work with.