3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 7:13 AM by philmodjunk

values in value list

emaven

Title

values in value list

How can I view the values in a value list? 

This list is being created by the data I put in the field. I know I can pick the values from a pop up list, but this is getting too long. 

I would just like to see them listed in a layout, or be able to print them. 

I would also like to correct wrong ones, or even eliminate them from the list. How can I do this?

FileMaker Pro 12 v 5, MacBook Pro Mavericks 10.9.2

• 1. Re: values in value list
          philmodjunk

This list is being created by the data I put in the field.

Therefore a list or table view of this field from the table where this field is defined will list your values. A summary report with sub summary parts could be set up to list each value only once.

I would also like to correct wrong ones, or even eliminate them from the list. How can I do this?

Enter find mode. Select an incorrect value from the list and perform the find. Correct the error in each record thus found and the incorrect value will no longer be in the list.

To make it easier to manage such a table of values, it often makes sense to set up a separate table for those values where you have only one record for each value.

• 2. Re: values in value list
            emaven

Enter find mode. Select an incorrect value from the list and perform the find. Correct the error in each record thus found and the incorrect value will no longer be in the list.

I already corrected my records, so I don't think I will find any. But the list will still have erroneous entries. How do I eliminate those?

To make it easier to manage such a table of values, it often makes sense to set up a separate table for those values where you have only one record for each value.

There are no values that have only one record. All values are used, except of course, for those that are wrong and which I want to eliminate.

• 3. Re: values in value list
              philmodjunk

If your Value list is set up with the "use values from a field option" it will not contain incorrect values once all records with the incorrect values are corrected in the table from which the values are drawn. From your original post, it sounds like the table where you are making these selections was also the source of your value list, but to be sure, you'd have to check settings in Manage | Value Lists. But if you are using a value list with the Custom values option, you will need correct the error in the list of custom values found in Manage | Value Lists.

There are no values that have only one record...

That misses the point that that I am trying to make. If you create and use a different table--not the table where you are using the value list to enter data--a table that only has one record for each value in the list, it is much easier to correct errors in your list and otherwise manage the values in your list. If your value list draws values from the same table where you use the value list to enter data, adding new values is very simple, but correcting errors or removing values from the list is more complicated.