5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 12:37 AM by Abhaya

Values of zero in a sub-summary report

MichaelRogers

Title

Values of zero in a sub-summary report

How do you show a value of zero (0) in a sub-summary report?

For example I want to show in a sporting competition the number of times in a season a team has won more than 75% of their games. In this example Team D has never won more than 75% of games in a season and is "not found" so the sub-summary shows:

Team A 14
      Team B   6
      Team C   8
      Team E   2

How to get the sub-summary to appear as:

Team A 14
      Team B   6
      Team C   8
      Team D   0
      Team E    2

• 1. Re: Values of zero in a sub-summary report
          philmodjunk

"The number of times in a season..."

Can you explain how you record this data in more detail? How is the table set up? What does one record in this table represent?

The wording suggests that your teams are competing in tournaments or some other such match where they play multiple games in each such match or tournament, but I'm only guessing based on pretty vague description here.

• 2. Re: Values of zero in a sub-summary report
            MichaelRogers

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

It is a very simple flat file with one table that does everything required except showing zero values in a sub-summary report.

Each record contains each team's cumulative record for a season after each series of games.

There are fields for team name, year/season, series/round number, cumulative games won, cumulative games lost, cumulative games tied, cumulative points scored, cumulative points conceded, calculated fields for cumulative percentage of points scored over points conceded and cumulative percentage of games won from games played in a season.

For a competition that has been in continuous existence for 115 years, simple sub-summary reports provide much interesting data.

It would be convebient  in a sub-summary report if teams not meeting a certain crireria returned a value of 0 in a sub-summary report instead of just not appearing in the report. As it is sub-summary reports have to be exported to a spreadsheet and the zero values have to be added manually, instead of just being able to use the Filemaker sub-summary as a graphic in a presentation.

What I can't find is a way to tell the sub-summary function "if TeamD is not found to not meet these criteria - Then TeamD has a value of 0".

• 3. Re: Values of zero in a sub-summary report
              philmodjunk

For example I want to show in a sporting competition the number of times in a season a team has won more than 75% of their games

Does that mean that they have one more than 75% of their games in each "series"? Keep in mind that you haven't identified the sport here and we don't know what you know about the data and the sport that you are working with here.

One record represents the results for one team in one series.

You can define a calculation field, cPctWins, to compute the percentage of wins in a series:

Games won / ( Games won + Games lost + Games Tied )

I also don't know if 75% is the only possible criteria here or if the user needs to be able to specify different percentages. I'll assume that your user needs to be able to specify different percentages.

Define a global number field, gPctWins so that a user can enter or select values in this field. I'll also assume that the user would enter 75 to specify 75%, not 0.75.

Now you can define this calculation field, cPctWinCount as:

cPctWins > ( gPctWins / 100 )

A summary field that computes the total of this field would then produce the numbers specified, with 0 returned when the percent wins are less than the specified percentage.

• 4. Re: Values of zero in a sub-summary report
                MichaelRogers

Thank you for your efforts. I see now that sub-summary report function of Filemaker on its own cannot be made to report on 'null events'. They have to be identified before hand. I'll give your solution a try.  Thanks again for your time.

• 5. Re: Values of zero in a sub-summary report
                  Abhaya

Ok this method is the right way to proceed

so make  a calculation field that  takes the "1/0"  value for satisfying the condition cPctWins > ( gPctWins / 100 ) then take the summary of that

field and replace  this summary field where you need and it'll display as you want in you paosted format.