3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2012 11:26 AM by philmodjunk

Variable Formatting Based upon Field Contents

user17322

Title

Variable Formatting Based upon Field Contents

I have a report that I would like to highlight a certain record based on the contents of a specific field. The report is in a table format with 20 or so records. As and example: If the City field = "Miami" I would like that row to be shaded differently from the rest. Does anyone have a solution for this?

As always,

Thanks

• 1. Re: Variable Formatting Based upon Field Contents
          philmodjunk

Enter layout mode and add the city field to the layout if it is not already there. It doesn't matter where it is on the layout as long as it's in the body of your layout.

Right click the field and select "conditional Format".

Enter this format expression:

Value is equal to Miami

Now select a fill color from the file color contorl.

Click Ok to dismiss the dialog.

Enter browse mode and all records where the city field = "miami" should show the fill color that you selected.

There are ways to make this user selectable. You could, for example, add a drop down list in the header and the city you select from it causes all records with that text in the city field to highlight.

• 2. Re: Variable Formatting Based upon Field Contents
            user17322

Phil,

I'm trying to highlight an entire row in a report if a field meets a certain condition. Here is a screen shot.  As an example I would like to highlight the top row if Store # = 730.

• 3. Re: Variable Formatting Based upon Field Contents
              philmodjunk

For this layout, I'd use List view, not table view, BTW, but either can be set up to work for this. You haven't indicated if you want the row for store = 730 to always highlight or if you want it to highlight only if that store is selected in some manner. Using the "highlight always" option:

Enter Layout mode. If you are using table view, use the field tool to add any fields that make up this row to the body of your layout. (The fields have to be on the layout so that you can format them.)

Shift click or drag a selection box to select all the fields that you want to have highlight.

Right click a selected field and select "Conditional format".

Select the formula option and enter this expression:

YourTable::YourStoreField = 730

Specify a fill color and return to browse mode to see that any record where Store = 730 as the entire row highlighted.