2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 12:37 PM by DrDave

Variable Report Names

DrDave

Title

Variable Report Names

I defined a Global Variable called $$dhTempReportName. I wanted to use that variable in a layout and more specifically, in a Report Title.

The problem is, I cannot figure out HOW to reference that variable in my layout.

In researching this, I saw that someone had achieved a similar objective by defining a Global Field in a database and then simply set-the-field before calling the layout/report. However, it seems to me that a Global Variable would be more flexible and efficient (available to all databases, etc).

All suggestions are appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Variable Report Names
          comment_1

DrDave wrote:

it seems to me that a Global Variable would be more flexible and efficient (available to all databases, etc).

It probably would, but unfortunately there's no way to display it on a layout. A global field is accessible from anywhere in the file, same as a global variable (actually, the global field has a wider scope, since it can be accessed through a relationship from another file).

• 2. Re: Variable Report Names
            DrDave
               Thank you for the feedback. I setup the Global Field and it works great.