4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2012 9:35 AM by Sorbsbuster

Varying number of related records associated with single record

VeronicaDaigle

Title

Varying number of related records associated with single record

I am looking into getting Filemaker Pro for my project management company. I have been playing with the trial version and going through some of the tutorials, but I have one situation that I would need the software to be capable of handling before comitting to purchase.

For our projects we get tickets from contractors on a daily basis with the costs for that day. Each ticket would have its own record in a ticket table in the database with the contractor, amount and a scanned copy in a container field. Sometime later we would recieve an invoice from that contractor for the amounts on multiple tickets (some contractors would be on a monthly basis, some biweekly etc).

When we recieve an invoice it would get its own record in a separate table for invoices with the contractor, invoiced amount, a scanned copy etc. What I would like to do is have a field where the user can choose the tickets which were included in that invoice when they enter the invoice data and have it create a relationship between those records. In an ideal case the form would even have a dropdown box where all tickets from that contractor that have not yet been invoiced are listed for the user to choose from. Is this something that filemaker pro is capable of, and can someone point me in the right direction on how to set something like that up?

Thanks

Xipha