7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 11:18 AM by philmodjunk

varying row heights

jwshelton22

Title

varying row heights

I am striving to replicate the attached Word table using our Filemaker data. The data is in a related table and the quantity of rows could be 1 or 21 or somewhere in between.

This will be displayed by PDF so preview mode can be used.

My challenge is the different row height based upon the number of descriptions within a given area. The example shows one description for every area except for one. That instance has 2 descriptions.

This is part of a longer document being created.

thanks,

Jim

Table1.JPG

• 1. Re: varying row heights
          philmodjunk

Can't be done in table view.

Can't be done in a portal

But you might manage something close to this using a list view and sliding fields set to slide up and to resize the enclosing part. The vertical borders shown will be a problem, though. If you can live with just horizontal borders and "white space" for your vertical separation, life is easier.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: varying row heights
            jwshelton22

Your answer was close to what I had concluded. I was able with a set of repeating fields and a script that populates the repeating fields duplicate the desired results.

Although now the length of the repeating fields, even though they are set to slide up, is giving me two blank pages.

How can I eliminate the blank pages?

thanks,

Jim

• 3. Re: varying row heights
              philmodjunk

Did you also specify "Resize enclosing part"?

Are there any layout objects in the same layout part below the repeating fields?

Did you set those parts to also slide up and resize?

• 4. Re: varying row heights
                jwshelton22

Okay thanks, I had not checked Resize Enclosing Part. Checking that removed the blank pages. Now just some spacing on the text below the repeating fields.

thanks for your help.

Jim

• 5. Re: varying row heights
                  philmodjunk

Now just some spacing on the text below the repeating fields.

As stated previously, they will also need to slide up and resize if they are also in the same layout part.

• 6. Re: varying row heights
                    jwshelton22

Thanks I got it to  work out great.

My question now goes back to the table with 2 columns. When the field in column 1 has less data it slides up more than column 2. Which makes sense.

Since the two columns need to align horizontally, I tried this as a script step to set the field but it is not fully working as it only adds 2 "¶" when the Length is 139.

Case(
                         Length ( Business Clients_RPT1::DescriptionRepeation[3] )>71 ;  Business Clients_RPT1::AreaRepeation[3]  &  "¶" &  "¶" ;
                         Length ( Business Clients_RPT1::DescriptionRepeation[3] )>95 ; Business Clients_RPT1::AreaRepeation[3]  & "¶" & "¶" &  "¶" &"¶" &"¶" ;
                         "" )

Better ideas?

Jim

• 7. Re: varying row heights
                      philmodjunk

Given the fact that text these days is proportional in width, (iiiii and WWWWW are the same number of characters but very different in width), your method is very unlikely to work.

Note point item 7 in my first post. Getting side borders to work when objects slide/shrink is nearly impossible.

What I would do is to dispense with the vertical borders, split the repetitions up into individual records of a related table and then set up a List view layout based on that related table to display this data. (You can include fields from the parent record on this layout in header, footer, grand summary parts.)

Then I can use the line tool to draw a horizontal line below the row of sliding fields in the body and set it up to slide up and to resize the enclosing part. That gives me horizontal "borders" but none vertical.

It IS possible to draw in vertical lines that start one pixel below the body/footer boundary and extend them up to just below the header/body boundary and they will work, sort of, but I'm not thrilled with the extra pixels of line extending below the last horizontal border. (We used to be able to do this with lines that extended from the Header into the Body, but recent versions of FileMaker no longer allow that to work like we need.)